JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what size screw holds the mirror housing on? I would like to make a dowel to punch the mirror out of the factory brackets for relo'.

P.S. What a PITA they are to get off! "Some force may be required..." ??? I'm lucky I didn't break the f'ing thing yet!

·
Registered
382 Posts
The screw is a Torx 30 screw. Unscrew it a quarter to half an inch and tap the head firmly with a hammer-- should come loose. Once off, liberally apply some lithium or silicon grease to facilitate removal next time.

Then, re-lube when you put it on long term.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry, no help on the size...

I recommend you do what I did:
1. Driverside - After you remove the screw, pull up forcefully with both hands until the mirror housing disengages and smashes you square in the bottom of the jaw.
2. Passenger - Learn from first mistake and move jaw out of the way. This time when the mirror comes off, watch it hail-mary through the air, run after it, bobble it so it avoids falling and hitting the driveway and then falls with a thunk in the grass.

Worked for me! :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The screw is a Torx 30 screw. Unscrew it a quarter to half an inch and tap the head firmly with a hammer-- should come loose. Once off, liberally apply some lithium or silicon grease to facilitate removal next time.

Then, re-lube when you put it on long term.
Thanks. Yeah, sorry. I should have said "thread" size. I was hoping to make a tool to take them out. It was a T-40, btw.

1. Driverside - After you remove the screw, pull up forcefully with both hands until the mirror housing disengages and smashes you square in the bottom of the jaw.
2. Passenger - Learn from first mistake and move jaw out of the way. This time when the mirror comes off, watch it hail-mary through the air, run after it, bobble it so it avoids falling and hitting the driveway and then falls with a thunk in the grass.

LMFAO! That was great. You forgot the dent from kicking the door in frustration.

I managed to get them loose. Boy, you really have to beat on 'em don't you?

:beer:Beer time!

·
Registered
111 Posts

Classic....LMAO!

Reminds me of when i took my doors off the first time...I was in disbelief when i saw the door launch up in the air after releasing under the pressure of a 3 ton jack pushing up from under it when it released. The side of the jeep was lifted up about 4"....literally caught it in mid air.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Classic....LMAO!

Reminds me of when i took my doors off the first time...I was in disbelief when i saw the door launch up in the air after releasing under the pressure of a 3 ton jack pushing up from under it when it released. The side of the jeep was lifted up about 4"....literally caught it in mid air.

:laughing:

word!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts