JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like half the time I weld something (maybe more) I find myself in a cramped position, crawling under a piece of equipment/Jeep/etc. I like my Lincoln helmet, but as often as not I find it banging, catching and scraping against things. A local welding shop had the Miller auto-darkening goggles in stock for a deal, so I decided to pick them up and give them a shot. I haven't tried them yet. I haven't had a chance, plus I'm going to get my glasses prescription put into the included frames (the goggles come with a small set of what look like basic glasses frames that go inside the goggles and and can be used to hold magnifying lenses, or RX lenses).

Once I give the goggles a shot I'll tell you what I think. I'm hoping they are good. Even if they are, I'll still probably use a standard helmet most of the time. But they could be awesome for tight spots if they work well.

Anybody else use the Miller mask/goggles?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Our maintenance guys use them at times when the welding areas are tight. Only complaint I heard was fogging issues depending on how contorted they were. But you can get anti fog stuff for lenses.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@BigTB
What do you think of the goggles?
Sadly, I haven't used hem yet. Been meaning to make an appointment at the eye doctor to get new glasses and contacts (they won't sell me new contacts since my Rx is over a year old). Haven't gotten around to it yet.

I should try them out and just lean in close enough that I don't need my glasses/contacts. I'll post once I've tried them out.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an available hood for the rest of your face/head, like a nomex mask or something?
There is a low-profile face shield built in, and it comes with a balaclava for the rest of your head, but it's a bit small. I have another one I'll use instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts