JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife and I are planning a camping trip to visit her folks in Wickenburg, 2nd week of March. Any recommendations for good camping spots and jeep trails?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are spending a couple of nights on the way to W and a couple of nights on the way back. Just looking for some interesting suggestions. we have been through there several times, but usually it's a day to get to W and a day to get back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered:
Arizona Ghost Towns and Mining Camps/a Travel Guide to History
and
Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 2nd Edition

Hope those will give us some good ideas.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We camped at Datil Well Campground in Datil NM (23F), one of the campgrounds on Roosevelt Lake (43F), and Clearcreek near Camp Verde (51F).

Drove the Young-Globe Highway. The bit from 260 to Young was okay, a bit too much like a highway, just with washboard. But Young to Roosevelt Lake was great.

Drove Apache Trail (beautiful scenery but too much traffic and too much washboard). Tortilla Flat was so crowded, I was half expecting to see a sign with Elevation and Occupancy. We just kept on rolling.

Drove the Box Canyon on Hassayampa River near Wickenburg. Great fun!

Drove Buckhorn Road from near Wickenburg to near Lake Pleasant, including a bit of Wickenburg Mountains Trail (steep and rough! didn't have time to do then entire 21 miles at 1-2 MPH!).

·
Registered
527 Posts
It all depends. I do like the Young Rd area. There are some nice campgrounds around Forest Lakes and Black Canyon Lake. If you want developed camping, I would look at Fool Hollow Lake right next to Show Low. If you want to come down through Winslow, there are plenty of campgrounds just before you drop off the Rim to go into Strawberry, and there is always Fossil Springs, just outside of Strawberry. You could even take the Fossil Springs road to Camp Verde, and then short cut through Prescott to get to Wickenburg, and totally avoid Phoenix. Especially in the Show Low to Payson area along Highway 260, there are probably 50 established campgrounds that can be used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts