·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Growing up in a northern climate I have always laughed here in Texas when we close schools or delay because of a "dusting" of snow. Hell today we delayed because of cold temps and possible precipitation.

Those guys up in Dallas I applaud. What a fun time they must have had.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Growing up in a northern climate I have always laughed here in Texas when we close schools or delay because of a "dusting" of snow. Hell today we delayed because of cold temps and possible precipitation.

Those guys up in Dallas I applaud. What a fun time they must have had.
You and I both.

"Schools closed due to freezing temperatures and possibility of frozen precipitation" ...

Really... Gimme a break. Central/ South Central Texas just kills me when it comes to weather "events" and the mass hysteria that seems to follow...

"GET OUT OF MY FUCKING WAY!!! THERE'S A POSSIBLE TRACE OF SLEET COMING!!! I HAVE TO GET TOILET PAPER AND BEER AND DORITOS!!!!"

Never even mind that there's only about a 10% chance of the 30% rain-chance turning into freezing rain or sleet and that 2 days from now it will be in the upper 50's. lmao.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stub... Even out here in the Hill Country it wasn't that bad either. To my dismay I looked on facebook at the total outrage about the kids having school yesterday, not to mention they didn't cancel it today. I understand my HS students Softball game getting Canceled.. that I get, but jesus it's 33 degrees and misting...

Meanwhile... I'm heading to HEB for TP, Beer and Doritos!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Stub... Even out here in the Hill Country it wasn't that bad either. To my dismay I looked on facebook at the total outrage about the kids having school yesterday, not to mention they didn't cancel it today. I understand my HS students Softball game getting Canceled.. that I get, but jesus it's 33 degrees and misting...

Meanwhile... I'm heading to HEB for TP, Beer and Doritos!!!!
Certainly... I can also completely understand outdoor games and practices getting cancelled. It's definitely chilly out there right now, but it seems like schools just cancel classes for so many ridiculous reasons. I still don't understand why so many "holidays" are justification for kids being out of school... subsequently exacerbating the continued demise of our children's education as well.

... And yes... Chelsea and I are also off to HEB for groceries lol. SO HELP ME... if anyone gets in my way as I'm heading towards the bacon or the Sour Patch Kids!!

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I think I t's all about the whole hyper-cautious approach to everything these days. I grew up in northwest Arkansas, and while it was nothing like the upper Midwest, or the northeast, we did get a few decent snowfalls each winter. I remember the buses running with chains. I remember being on a bus that slid off into the ditch, and a nearby farmer coming and pulling us out with his tractor.

Nowadays (I know, I'm sounding like an old codger here), school administrators are so afraid of of the liabilities involved in the things that were a part of everyday life then, that they knee-jerk when there's a 30% chance of rain that there's a 10% chance of freezing. (Nice one Stub!)

I think it also has a lot to do with a widespread victim mentality among the public though. Even if my school bus had wrecked and I had been injured, no one would have sued the school system -- things happen. But now, it seems that everybody is looking for someone to blame, and for a way to dip into someone else's pocket. It would be nice to see some folks grow up, and some others to grow a spine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been on business travel in Arlington Tx for 2 weeks. I am from florida and I don't think even we would overract this much to a little cold rain and ice. I did watch the news report last night about the Jeep club guys....pretty cool. Kinda wish I could have joined them but doubt my little rental eco box would have helped much =P

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Living outside of Austin we don't get a whole lot of weather, Dallas now that's a different story.

From Florida to Texas you would think it would be the same reaction but I guess it's all the Snowbirds who are use to it :)

Check out the Ft Worth Stockyards while you are there... Great food and drinks!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
My 11YO was upset this morning when I told him that he had to go to school the same as all the other days here, when they delayed school in Killeen. I reminded him that just two years ago we were in upstate NY and the weather wasn't even this nice in May.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Very cool about the jeep club, I did the same thing this time last year here in Atlanta when the city was shut down. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to my boss who was stuck on I-285 overnight cause he was to stubborn to leave work early in his 2wd suburban.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Awesome!! I've done this since I was a kid with my first jeep, lots of fun and most people really appreciate it. My strap stays in the back all winter.

·
Registered
979 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts