JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Wrangler 2-door.

I'm going to haggle with my dealership over the extended warranty tomorrow morning.
Can someone answer this?

The MaxCare, purchased on line from Jeep.com is $1,440 for 72 months/70,000 miles. (I live close to work. 70k is enough)

I figure the dealer will want $2,000 or more for the same thing.

Can anyone explain (beside the American profit motive) the possible difference?

Have you bought the one directly from Chrysler? Were their hidden costs that drove up the price?

Thanks!
:cwm13:

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
2012 Wrangler 2-door.

I'm going to haggle with my dealership over the extended warranty tomorrow morning.
Can someone answer this?

The MaxCare, purchased on line from Jeep.com is $1,440 for 72 months/70,000 miles. (I live close to work. 70k is enough)

I figure the dealer will want $2,000 or more for the same thing.

Can anyone explain (beside the American profit motive) the possible difference?

Have you bought the one directly from Chrysler? Were their hidden costs that drove up the price?

Thanks!
:cwm13:
Do you plan on doing ANY modifications to this Jeep?

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Always go with the manufacturer backed extended warranty.
The MaxCare is Chrysler's extened warranty... I got one on the Grand Caravan I recently bought.. but I wouldn't get one on a Wrangler if you plan on any serious mods cause they will most likely void your warranty and you wil be SOL.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
The MaxCare is Chrysler's extened warranty... I got one on the Grand Caravan I recently bought.. but I wouldn't get one on a Wrangler if you plan on any serious mods cause they will most likely void your warranty and you wil be SOL.
X2 I have the life time warranty on my 08 but the dealer tells me that even if they try to honnor it that the reginol Chrysler rep will veto it due to my mods.

I never buy an extended warranty on anything. The thousands of $ I've saved over the past 30 years is huge. Anything that I own can fail and I'm still money ahead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do you plan on doing ANY modifications to this Jeep?
Of course :)

Mostly cosmetic stuff and a minor lift.
Seat covers, hang some extra lights on it, another bumper. The usual stuff.

What I have seen discussed a lot in the various forums is the only time a mod can void warranty coverage is if they can show that mod caused the part to fail.

If my radiator or A/C dies I doubt Chrysler could make a case the lift or better backup lights caused it.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Of course :)

Mostly cosmetic stuff and a minor lift.
Seat covers, hang some extra lights on it, another bumper. The usual stuff.

What I have seen discussed a lot in the various forums is the only time a mod can void warranty coverage is if they can show that mod caused the part to fail.

If my radiator or A/C dies I doubt Chrysler could make a case the lift or better backup lights caused it.

Thoughts?

that is the way it is suppose to work..

if you are only doing minor stuff I don't see an issue.. put on a bigger tire than what came stock, regear it, lift it, etc etc.. you are most likely going to have issues... plenty of experience around to read about. Once your flagged in the system your warranty is worthless.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
that is the way it is suppose to work..
You got that right, and I bet they can afford a better attorney than you if you plan to take it there. What they should do and what they do is completely different. I wouldn't put an extended warranty on a Jeep I planned to modify at all..

So you say "my pinion bearing is broke and making noise, it should be covered under the warranty"

They say "Nope, you have a lift and larger tires on it"

You say "But you have to prove it because such-n-such"

They say "Larger lift caused an excessive pinion angle side loaded the bearing and a lack of proper lubrication due to the rotation of the axle"

......Now what? Do we know there are thousands of lifted Jeeps without a problem? Yep. Does that do you any good? Not a bit.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts

Thoughts?
My thought: the A/C and electrical system is about the only thing you'll actually have a warranty on. Given I have yet to see any failures on the various forum of a JK HVAC system...that may not do you much good. The electrical system. TIPM is about the only major electrical component I've seen fail on a JK, which isn't all that extensive to repair yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts