JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if CAI is smog legal in the phoenix area? Also, is any particular flashpaq tune better than others (Econ, 87, 91)? Thanks, in advance, for any input.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Can anyone tell me if CAI is smog legal in the phoenix area? Also, is any particular flashpaq tune better than others (Econ, 87, 91)? Thanks, in advance, for any input.
If the vehicle is 5 years old or newer, they won't even pop the hood, they just hit the OBDII port and check for codes. Older than 5 years, they generally check the gas cap, OBDII and tailpipe. General visual inspections are based on results, I believe.

http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/smog-check.php#Emissions-Testing-Procedures

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/download/vei_faq.pdf

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response and the links!! Unfortunately none of their websites indicate what isn't allowed as far as engine mods. Anyone have experience with a late model vehicle going through with a CAI installed?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Thanks for the quick response and the links!! Unfortunately none of their websites indicate what isn't allowed as far as engine mods. Anyone have experience with a late model vehicle going through with a CAI installed?
As far as I know, that doesn't matter if it passes tailpipe emissions testing. Which is why I posted those links. They are realllllly focused on the OBD, Gas Cap, and Tail Pipe output. I took my 2008 Ford Econoline through three months ago and all they did was connect the sniffer, check the cap, and plug in. They never looked under the hood. I could have had a nuclear reactor under there and it wouldn't have mattered. I passed the output/dyno test connected to the OBDII port. Now if you fail, I am pretty sure they'll have a look...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha! Thanks again. Think I'll go as is and just tune to back stock for the test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my 08 thru a couple of months ago, and as long as there are no codes or CEL and the drive cycle has been completed so everything is reset (I learned this the hard way), you shouldn't have any issues...All they checked was the OBD and gas cap. Mine passed with brand new hi flow cats, headers and exhaust just installed, as well as new injectors. I was just waiting in install the RIPP until I was done with the inspections.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ive gotten banged twice due to gas cap failure on our 2 JK's.

Instead of having to find/drive to an Auto Parts Store, then go back and wait in line to be tested again. I have an extra new cap and just switch it out before I take it in to be tested in the first place.

When you pass, just switch it out again and put it back in the toolbox for next time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just went to the one in Gilbert with my 05 last month, no hood pop nor did they check the gas cap. He only asked to see where the filler was hiding as I'm comp cut and couldnt see it right away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts