JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have wacked my knee on the map pocket about 8 times now. This is some serious pain :bawling:. Any of you folks have any creative ideas on avoiding it. I would take off the map pocket thing if I could, but it didn't really appear to be an option :shaking:.

·
Registered
962 Posts
OK, so I have wacked my knee on the map pocket about 8 times now. This is some serious pain :bawling:. Any of you folks have any creative ideas on avoiding it. I would take off the map pocket thing if I could, but it didn't really appear to be an option :shaking:.
After 20 hits the knee goes numb and you don't care anymore.
I smack mine all the time, must be a JK thing.

·
14ers
479 Posts
Must be you ingress/egress motor skills :D

I'm 6'3" 205 lbs with a size 13 boot and have not had any problems with the doors. I've got serious problems with the steering wheel because I never remember to tilt it up beforehand. But like he said, 20 more times and no kneed to worry! HA! Get it? Kneed? Ok. I'm done.

G

·
0 Posts
You could try taking off the knee.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
314 Posts
Get some soft doors with soft windows. Problem solved.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not only does it hurt like a mother, if you are wearing shorts, it will gouge up your knee pretty good.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Hit the knee? I presume getting in and out? I mean, that thing's down by my ankle when driving - I'm no giant at 5'10", heh.

Oddly enough, the only thing that ever hits my map pocket is my toes - they drag across it on the way out, have a nice mud smear that seems to be permanently written across it.

Try taking the retaining strap off the door so you can open it more? Just watch out for the mirror and the hood, or ripping out the wiring harness if you have power windows. =)

Now, if I could simply avoid hitting my head when getting in... That's some pain!

!c

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I tried like the dickens to duplicate this phenomena without success...hmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well.........the bottom of my map pocket sets 31" above ground. The way I get in the jeep puts my knee very close while swinging in. I have to watch myself on entry or *SMACK*. It's funny though, the passenger almost always hits his/her head.....:laughing:...on the roll bar that is, not the map pocket....:D

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
When my door swung open all the way ( after removing the pw/pdl harness), the side mirror whacked the snot out of the hood and left a golf ball size dent that will likely start to chip soon. The JK cowl is attached (well) to the fender panels (unlike prev TJs), so the dent is almost impossible to pound out from the inside. It was my fault for thinking that the JK steel could survive the impact from plastic, but I tell people that it was from a tree branch while wheeling, and that makes me feel better. Attached pic shows my solution to keep door from swinging all the way open, while allowing it to open wide enough that I no longer hit my knee (or foot) on it anymore. Just simple extensions, but they work well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have no idea how you guys are whacking your knee on that thing. I've yet to have that happen. Maybe I'll do a write-up on how I get in my Jeep without pain...:lol:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have no idea how you guys are whacking your knee on that thing. I've yet to have that happen. Maybe I'll do a write-up on how I get in my Jeep without pain...:lol:
I'd rater see a writeup on how to fill up with gas without pain:smokin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts