JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my question. I was planning on purchasing a 6 speed manual Unlimited, however I have read a few posts about problems with the clutch and other areas when it comes to the 6 speed. I have not seen any posts about the automatic so what is the general opinion on the two? I will not be doing any rock crawling or serious off roading just your occasional off road adventure to see where a dirt road goes. (Not sure if this makes a difference)
Any information you all can provide will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've been driving my 09 6spd JKU and have had zero issues due to the jeep.
I do off road & rock crawling and have been very hard on my clutch and gears. 27k and still going great.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Look harder you will find issues with the auto. It's all about preference...there are even KOH buggies running manuals.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would go for the 6 speed. Probably a little better power (less parasitic loss), and also probably slightly better MPG as well.

I have an auto, and like it, especially for off roading, but probably would do a 6 speed if I bought new.

·
Registered
206 Posts
don't forget that the auto is $800 more. you can put that $ toward an aftermarket clutch if you have problems with the OEM.

like others have said, it's really all about what you prefer to drive. i prefer full control, so i got a manual. and the extra gears are a big plus for getting more power to the wheels.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Preference. Either can have issues. 6 speed here, and no issues at all to date- 15,000 miles. Lots of rock crawling and trail use. There is a TSB on the throw-out bearing on some of the JK's, but I haven't had the issue yet. A lot of the reliability and longevity of the 6 speed is determined by driver input. You can fry a clutch pretty easily if you don't know how to drive it properly. Also, the manual doesn't take well to a lot of use in wet/ muddy conditions.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
6 speed here and ZERO regrets. I've got 20k of crawling and highway. But like everyone says-its all about drivers preference. Me personally, I just like being in total control. Welcome to JKO :beer:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Preference. Either can have issues. 6 speed here, and no issues at all to date- 15,000 miles. Lots of rock crawling and trail use. There is a TSB on the throw-out bearing on some of the JK's, but I haven't had the issue yet. A lot of the reliability and longevity of the 6 speed is determined by driver input. You can fry a clutch pretty easily if you don't know how to drive it properly. Also, the manual doesn't take well to a lot of use in wet/ muddy conditions.
X2. I have the auto second JK with an Auto no issues. First jeep I traded at around 36,000 miles and I am at 11,000 on this one.

·
Registered
625 Posts
if I had to do it over I'd get the auto only because of the doubler availability and being able to drive with both feet when in the really vertical rocks...

but I would miss my 6spd.

total preference of driver.

·
Registered
166 Posts
6spd here, every single vehicle ive ever owned was a manual so it was a no brainer going for the manual when i bought my 09. Now i wish i had an automatic, once the motor goes a chevy with an manual valved body auto will be goin in its place.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Definitely preference. My TJ was a manual (that needed the 6th gear badly) had it for 4 years. Only ever driven manual vehicles. But when buying this JK that was my biggest decision too. I went unlimited automatic just because it would be a lot of HGWY driving and it ws a bigger rig. Wanted to relax a bit and "follow the occasional dirt road." ;)

14k on my '10 Auto and no issues (except for the damn cracked exhaust manifold).

·
Registered
112 Posts
6 speed please

I went with the 6 speed. I think it is more fun to drive. I would of got a auto if I did a lot of city driving, but i don't.:beer:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
6 speed here with zero problems. The automatics have heat issues and need lower gearing.
Mike, any more info regarding this heat issue or anyone you can put me in contact with who has experienced this? PM me if you feel more comfortable giving out names. Im interested thanks.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Just search a little. The new JK's even have an idiot light that comes on when the trans gets too hot. Several have burned to the ground from grass and stuff getting trapped between the skid plates and the auto trans. It is a commonly know issue, but nothing a trans cooler would fix.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
This is all personal preference and they both have their reliability issues...I mean c'mon, their f'ing made or speced out by Chrysler so it shouldn't surprise you.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Just search a little. The new JK's even have an idiot light that comes on when the trans gets too hot. Several have burned to the ground from grass and stuff getting trapped between the skid plates and the auto trans. It is a commonly know issue, but nothing a trans cooler would fix.
Yea i started looking right after you mentioned it. Read some other forum's topics on the issue. J30 recall huh? Said it was mostly for '08-'09 42RLE tranny's but also affected some early '10s. knock on wood no issues thus far for my '10...never got a recall notice but that wont stop me from looking into it.

To clarify, (i have the tow package), the tow package DOES come with a factory cooler? We all know factory product quality vs. aftermarket...but is this factory ATC sufficient? I mean I guess the $60-70$ doesnt hurt as far as covering my ass but when all these "small" fixes add up its kinda pricey.

·
Registered
803 Posts
To clarify, (i have the tow package), the tow package DOES come with a factory cooler? We all know factory product quality vs. aftermarket...but is this factory ATC sufficient? I mean I guess the $60-70$ doesnt hurt as far as covering my ass but when all these "small" fixes add up its kinda pricey.
Tow package doesn't add any tranny Oil Cooler besides the standard one and you'd have to add an aftermarket one.

Got the "Hot Oil" warning light while slowly climbing up some long steep hills in the Sierras but I easily could have avoided that by shifting down so that the TC doesn't heat the oil so much. So yes the factory cooler is insufficient but I think you can get by without an aftermarket cooler by lower gear selection when doing slow steep climbs, but if you do long period rock crawling trips then I'd say additional cooler for sure.

As for Manual or Auto, I'd have liked a manual for the control but on short notice I only was able to get an Auto and to be honest it's nice too.
Just the ones involved in programming the shift points on the auto should get bitch slapped especially for the very late TC lock release which scared the living shit out of me on a very steep hill where I thought I'd stall and short before the stall get greeted with an abrupt downshift making the 3.8 scream and get that feeling that the Jeep is trying to pull a wheelie one me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I got mine, none of the dealers around here had what I wanted with the 6-speed but the dealer I went with found one for me out of state. While waiting for it to get here, they let me drive their demo JK which had the auto. When I finally got my Jeep, I could hardly believe they were running the same engine. With the manual, my Jeep has a lot more get up and go.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts