JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure this has been discussed before but I can’t seem to find in search engine so here I go.
I recently purchased 2012 Rubicon with 280k original miles. Engine is from 2014 with currently pushing 26k. Transmission has been completely rebuilt and has new transfer case.
I seem to hear slight rattling noise at around 2-2.5k rpm in 2-3-4 gears every now & then. When I push the pedal hard it goes away. Some say it’s normal or “Jeep Thing” but I’m afraid it’ll lead to some technical failure in the future.
Also in higher gears 4-5-6 it has a slight whistling sound.
I’ve been driving manual cars since 90s & to me it doesn’t seem quite normal.
Maybe the guy who rebuilt did crappy job. Idk.
Does anyone have better idea? Help me out ppl.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You answered your own question, “ maybe the guy who rebuilt it did a crappy job”. That would be my guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After watching some YouTube videos it seems quite common and mine isn’t as bad. But it bugs me & I’d like to know what’s the cause & if there’s anyone here who’s had that issue either solved or had long term with or with no problem. Also is the clunking noise normal when letting go the clutch? I never drove another Wrangler with NSG370 so I can’t compare.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You answered your own question, “ maybe the guy who rebuilt it did a crappy job”. That would be my guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lol. This is pretty funny. Doesn’t answer much though.

To OP, you can check all sorts of things. But it could be a throw out bearing.

I don’t think clunking is normal. I have a 2013 manual and I guess it will clunk if I’m shifting like crap. Is clunking coming from transmission?

Perhaps check all your mating bolts with a torque wrench. Engine to tranny. Tranny to transfer case.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It seems to me some of the 2012 and up manuals had issues with the hole in the body around the shifter, either interfering with the shift lever of the inner boot causing them to pop out of gear. I had dome issues with mine after installing the 1.25 inch body lift. Some massaging with a hammer and or pry bar clearanced it enough to make it go away.

It might be worth removing the outer and inner boot, along with the isolator doughnut so that you can see and hear better what's going on. It's possible the sounds are coming from the transmission internals, but maybe not. I'd think it's just as likely that removing and re-installing the trans has shifted something external just enough to cause some interference somewhere.

Either way, opening things up so you can see and hear might help and it's pretty easy to do.

Also, once you have things open, a mechanics stethoscope placed on the trans case might reveal if the sounds are internal or not.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts