JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a 2008 JK with the 6-speed manual and from the moment I took it out of the dealer I could hear a lot of whirring noises coming from the gearbox. Coming from a 1994 YJ where everything made noises, I didn’t really give it much thought. A week later I drove a friend’s JK (which was a week older than mine) and I realized that this sound wasn’t normal because his JK didn’t have the whirring noise. I went immediately to the dealer, they checked it and 20 minutes later I left the garage without the noise. Magic! They said there was something loose in the gearbox cover (or something like it) but I was so happy that there was really nothing wrong with my new Jeep that I just drove off with a smile on my face.

One month and 2,000 kms later I had the OME suspension installed (which lifts the car 2”to 2-1/2”) and 33” tires on 17” wheels. By the time I reached the 10,000 km maintenance the whirring noise had come back, not as strong as it was when the car was new, but very noticeable. I took it for a drive with a Jeep technician who confirmed the noise wasn’t normal. They supposedly worked on it for 2 days and even contacted the main service department in the US (I live in Dubai, UAE) about the noise, but this time around they couldn’t find the cause of the noise, and blamed the suspension lift for it. They sustain that the noise may be generated by the change in drivetrain angles.

I’m now at 18,000 kms and the whirring noise is still there. It’s not really loud, but it is very noticeable. I can hear the noise mostly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears around 3K RMP. I know people with larger lifts that don’t have it, so I’m really frustrated.

Can anyone shed some light here?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi, I bought a 2008 JK with the 6-speed manual and from the moment I took it out of the dealer I could hear a lot of whirring noises coming from the gearbox. Coming from a 1994 YJ where everything made noises, I didn’t really give it much thought. A week later I drove a friend’s JK (which was a week older than mine) and I realized that this sound wasn’t normal because his JK didn’t have the whirring noise. I went immediately to the dealer, they checked it and 20 minutes later I left the garage without the noise. Magic! They said there was something loose in the gearbox cover (or something like it) but I was so happy that there was really nothing wrong with my new Jeep that I just drove off with a smile on my face.

One month and 2,000 kms later I had the OME suspension installed (which lifts the car 2”to 2-1/2”) and 33” tires on 17” wheels. By the time I reached the 10,000 km maintenance the whirring noise had come back, not as strong as it was when the car was new, but very noticeable. I took it for a drive with a Jeep technician who confirmed the noise wasn’t normal. They supposedly worked on it for 2 days and even contacted the main service department in the US (I live in Dubai, UAE) about the noise, but this time around they couldn’t find the cause of the noise, and blamed the suspension lift for it. They sustain that the noise may be generated by the change in drivetrain angles.

I’m now at 18,000 kms and the whirring noise is still there. It’s not really loud, but it is very noticeable. I can hear the noise mostly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears around 3K RMP. I know people with larger lifts that don’t have it, so I’m really frustrated.

Can anyone shed some light here?
noise can come from a throw out bearing a bad bearing inside the case or improper gear mesh. Your dealer cant (in my opinion) deny you warranty since you had this problem from the start and they should have record of you previous claim in there computer. But with chrysler all I can say is good luck

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
At least he doesn't have to deal with the MENST MONST...:eek:

Besides what bodyguy is saying regarding the warranty (and that the dealership has record of the problem BEFORE any mods were done)...I think that if it is a throwout bearing that Diamler Chrysler also has posted a TSB on the throwout bearing/ 6 speed already. Maybe those two factors will give you the upper hand.

If you need help finding that particular TSB- either google search it or check this forum under "tsbs & recalls" section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll take it to the 20,000 km revision and comment about the existence of the Technical Service Bulletin regarding the throw out bearing, but I haven't been able to find it in this forum or on any of the websites google sends me to; I can only see TSBs abouth the automatic gearbox. StrubEXrub: can you point me in the right direction?

The problem I had in my argument last time I was there is that they did fix the whirring noise in 20 minutes without opening the entire gearbox, so they sustain that its not the same problem.

I'm thinking about going there with my friend's car as well to demostrate that he doesn't have the sound.

Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.