JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
I think that once you measure, cut, drill, bend, and finsh that bare piece of steel...$200 will seem like a very small amt of money to pay. Unless you have a fab shop that does that kind of thing or a buddy that does it and you could pay him in beer. Good luck though.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Theres a better option. Try http://www.budbuilt.com/new/winch_plates.html

Not too spendy and better than you could do yourself. I plan on getting one of the small plates and cutting it down not much wider than the winch mounting holes. This will replace the brackets that came with my Rock Hard bumper. They're okay, but I've already bent one set and think a single piece will be stronger than two L brackets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i just refuse to pay 200 or so dollars for a piece of bent steal...they are charging 10xs what it costs to make and manufacture that thing. you can get one for a tj for like 50 bucks...thinking about maybe making that one fit the jk????

about this budbuilt thing....what do you have to do to make it fit...i honestly havent even looked at how it would mount to the JK. I have access to a welder and cutting tools, blow torch etc....does it just bolt on, or do you weld it to the factory bumper, bolt to the frame, weld to the frame..????what do you do

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
i just refuse to pay 200 or so dollars for a piece of bent steal...they are charging 10xs what it costs to make and manufacture that thing. you can get one for a tj for like 50 bucks...thinking about maybe making that one fit the jk????
I actually have a Warn winch mounting plate (incl removable hoop) that I could send to you for $50. It is in great condition. The whole thing has been LineXed except for the bolts that hold the hoop to the plate. If you live around the Texas area, I would be more than happy to get a ship quote. I would think another 20- 30 bucks to ship? dunno...PM if interested, or if you want me to post a couple pics then no problem.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
about this budbuilt thing....what do you have to do to make it fit...i honestly havent even looked at how it would mount to the JK. I have access to a welder and cutting tools, blow torch etc....does it just bolt on, or do you weld it to the factory bumper, bolt to the frame, weld to the frame..????what do you do
I'm not really sure. The full width one may fit the frame rails that we have and then you could weld/bolt it on. I was planning on bolting it to my existing Rock Hard 4x4 shorty bumper. All I need it for is a mounting point for the fairlead so it should work well enough in that application. BudBuilt sells them with the intent for you to use them as a starting point in a build, not as a finished solution. For the person who would consider fabbing a winch plate themselves, this is a good alternative. If you have no fab capabilities... well, maybe not :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Give me a few minutes...

Fla shouldnt be too bad to ship. I just sent some driveshafts off to California for like $30 I think. The mounting plate is totally dusty but no stress, or rust, or gouges. When cleaned up, it looks brand new.

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
I rinsed it off but didnt clean it up. I may have a little rust around the bolt holes, but nothing severe. I had this on a 06' LJ Unlimited.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I paid 40 new from 4 wheel parts. It was a universal mount, then I modified it for my install, which cost me a few cut off wheels and 30 bucks to a welder.
It really depends on your exact needs what would work best. Woods is selling a "starter kit" that would work well with a modified factory bumper.

·
Registered
630 Posts

If your asking what it would take to install a fabbed non direct fit winch mount. Not to mention how to mount it and where it would mount I am gonna say that $200 is a cheap price for you. Having access to equipment is one thing, when your not sure how to fab it up on where to mount it I would spend the $200 bucks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Harbor Freight #90476 for $39

Check out Harbor Freight #90476 for $39. It is a generic part, but it has the fairlead cutout and probably has the standard holes drilled. Drill a couple more to mount to your bumper or frame, and possibly trim the ends and you can probably be done for under $50.

Bryan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.