JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Rubicon that I bought new and now has 14,000 miles on it. Oil consumption has been slowly but steadily increasing on it from less that 1/4 quart per 3000 miles to just over 1 quart per 3000 miles. I now know why. The dealer has confirmed that the dipstick is reading incorrectly. It reads full at 4 3/4 quarts compared to the specified oil capacity of 6 quarts. On three of the six oil changes I have had done to date, I checked the dipstick immediately after the change, found it was showing overfill and had the overfill removed. Therefore, after three of these oil changes, I was running under oiled from day one and took it down to less than 2/3 capacity before adding oil since that was the result of following the owners manual and not replacing oil until the add line was reached. The other three oil changes were done by the dealer, and I never checked the result since I assumed that they knew what they were doing.

It is apparent that this is a factory condition since the very first oil change that I had done ended up with an overfill. The dealer has now odereded a new dipstick and tube to address the inaccurate calibration. However, all that they are proposing to do with regards to potential accelerated wear is put me on an oil consumption report. I know from previous posts on this and other Jeep forums that Chrysler Canada won't consider oil consumption a warrenty issue unless consumption exceeds 1 quart per 1000 miles.

This is an extremely high threshold that I am unlikely to meet. However, I feel that the accelerated engine wear is something that Chrysler Canada need to address. At a mimimum, I want an extended warranty on the engine but that still leaves unresolved issues. For example, there can be a resale issue if anyone checks the service records.

For now, I would appreciate any advice on what potential issues I should be concerned about and any suggestions on what I should seek from Chrysler Canada as a recourse.

Regards
MBjeepster

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't believe that your lower than normal oil level would increase engine wear unless you had the low oil pressure light due to the pick up sucking air during breaking, acceleration, off-road at extreme angles,...
You should still push the Dealer and/or Chrysler to investigate the current oil usage and ask for a written statement that the incorrect oil level indicator did not cause any damage to your engine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's the first ive heard of a dipstick tube being off. I always put 6 qt's in then after it ran for oil pressure I checked it again and it was always dead on. I still burnt around 1.5 qt's every oil change and the amount of oil that went in was dead on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's the first ive heard of a dipstick tube being off. I always put 6 qt's in then after it ran for oil pressure I checked it again and it was always dead on. I still burnt around 1.5 qt's every oil change and the amount of oil that went in was dead on.
I always put 6 quarts in mine and it ends up at the bend above the "full" mark - which is about 1/2 qt too full according to the stick. I remember seeing many posts about 2007's and 2008's with this problem... not sure if it was this site or the evil one :grinpimp:

Bottom line - the user manual and service manual both say it takes 6 quarts, so put 6 in, run it, let it sit, then check the level. that will be your true "full" mark.

:beer:

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I always put 6 quarts in mine and it ends up at the bend above the "full" mark - which is about 1/2 qt too full
Mine is an early '09 and is exactly the same. Not worth worrying about. Put in 6 and check the oil at every fill.

·
Banned
5,598 Posts
Mine ate oil like Ron Jeremy eats MILF's. Switched to 5w-30, no more oil eater.

And I have never heard of the dip stick thing, but I could be wrong. All though, it might be the dealer trying to cover their ass for some other screw up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.