JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I liked the design that Mt. Logan Offroad used for their tire carrier so I decided to modify it and use it. I used 1/4" plate solid steel over the whole surface on the tailgate and then also put a tab on the bumper that supports all the weight of the tire. Here are the pics.

Plate Used

Tab on Bumper

Done Without Tire

Done with Tire

Medsker

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Nice work, my only real concern is that when you catch the tire coming off a ledge that it may bend the tailgate. I know a few people have done that with the factory tire carrier. Not sure ho much impact covering the vent will have, but you may to crack a window when parking it in the sun with the hard doors on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work, my only real concern is that when you catch the tire coming off a ledge that it may bend the tailgate. I know a few people have done that with the factory tire carrier. Not sure ho much impact covering the vent will have, but you may to crack a window when parking it in the sun with the hard doors on.
My tailgate was already dented from hitting the tire once on a ledge when it was hooked to the factory carrier. I'm sitting about four inches higher than stock which will help and this one is stronger than the stock carrier. That being said if it I hit it hard I'm sure it will dent again but such is life. I'm not sure how much the vent will effect things either. I can always drill some holes thru the plate if needed or even cut it out and install the original vent cover. I decided to try it first and see how it worked. I haven't had my doors on since I built it though :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think warrior makes a 3/16 plate that covers the entire tailgate. with enough pop rivets it should reinforce it alot. enough to take a hit anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts