JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after looking at the available headliners from hotheads (very nice by the way), rugged ridge and a few others. I decided to try making my own. Bottom line was cost, most quality liners were $300+, And I just didnt see the need to pay that.

So here we go:

Materials list:

4x8' 3/4" R5 insulation board
6x8' "6'" carpeting
1 can 3M Industrial Spray Adhesive
15' x 1" Industrial Strength Velcro
1 x Nice sharp box cutter/utility knife
Construction Paper and tape for template

Total cost: $98 at Home Depot

The 4x8' 3/4" sheet of R5

In case anybody is interested. It is a perfect match to the black Wrangler carpet and slighty better quality. It runs about $4.50 per Linear Foot

For the front Pannels I cut a rectangle to fit.

Then carefully free hand with the utility knife to make it fit. Remember to leave a little wiggle room for the carpet and to relieve where necassary for propper fitment.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Once fitted glue the carpet with a little overlap. Clean the inside of the top and use a few strips of the industrial velcro. Thankfully the carpet will cover any small mistakes.

Now use the paper to make a template for the inside of the rear portion of the top. Carefully transfer the template to your R5 board. Here the wife is helping out. Cut slowly and take your time.

Test fit and repeat carpeting procedure. and use the rest of the industrial velcro to attach to the top.

Now install all pieces and enjoy less baking and better a/c as well as a quiter cab!!

Any questions feel free to ask!

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Awesome, nice work........ now:

Thread Tools > Move Thread > Write Up Dept. (The Library) > Done:grinpimp:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Awesome job and write up.

If my hard top EVER gets in (not asking stealership since its summer), I will do this!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
How did you attach the velcro? Does it already have a sticky backing?
By far the nicest "Cheap" mod so far. Its getting done to mine.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you attach the velcro? Does it already have a sticky backing?
By far the nicest "Cheap" mod so far. Its getting done to mine.
The industrial strength Velcro (yes the actual Velcro Brand) has adhesive and non adhesive rolls, I just picked up the adhesive roll. Really need to test it out in the heat, but I can tell you this. I messed up my first strip and pulling it off was useless, it was pulling apart the fiberglass of the top, I just left it and moved on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like this and I'll be doing this in later times. What about adding thin ply wood, like door skin to the bottom of the insulation to so that it wont break when you try to take then down?

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like this and I'll be doing this in later times. What about adding thin ply wood, like door skin to the bottom of the insulation to so that it wont break when you try to take then down?
No a bad idea, I bought the laminated R5 board though so I think it will hold up. If you go with a less expensive product reinforcing it would probably be nice.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
That's awesome. Wonder if it would work on a soft top

Bryan
Sent from my smoke signals
Believe it or not, your soft top is not holding in nearly as much heat as the hard tops do. This stuff is too rigid for a soft top IMO.

Nice work on those! Got me thinking again! Ha ha!

We have to drive the Unlimited 4 hours across the state tomorrow and the high is 105...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Good job! Looks great! Going to do something similiar when I get home! :beer:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Great Job Scott...:D I've got to do mine, I was getting baked yesterday on the Con.... And I'm talking from the sun!!:lol:

·
Vendor
2,326 Posts
Scott, that looks great! It came out much better than what I though it would. Not saying you could not do it or anything... it looks like your helper did the hard part! LOL. I bet she is liking her remote start right about now as well!!

Anyways, looking good buddy!

-Jason

1 - 20 of 54 Posts