JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a surplus M1101 trailer. The stock tires on it are insanely expensive, more than I paid for the whole trailer (each). I still have my stock Sahara JKU tires. My intent is to get new wheels for my Jeep in the next few months, save three JKU stock tires and wheels, and convert the trailer from the military 8 bolt hub to the 5 on 5 Jeep hub. Question is, how do I do this? I haven't seen any sort of conversion plates out there for this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I haven't seen any one do a conversion on one, but I would say the easiest way would be to buy a new axle that is 5 on 5. Pull the old axle out and bolt the new one on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
As mentioned, you can buy a new axle with a 5 on 5 hub, assuming you can find one of the proper width.

Another option would be to buy spindles, hubs and an axle tube and weld your own to whatever width you need.

I am not familiar with the m1101 spindle setup, but if you can find a 5 on 5 hub that fits the stock spindle that would be your easiest and probably cheapest option.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can easily get surplus tires to keep the trailer as is.
Though swapping over to a 5 lug design would be nice to have spares on your trailer, your stock tires are way too small for that size trailer.
For what it's going to be used for, get lug adapters and be done with it EASY!

airbagit dot com has them.

First example I found. Bolt on and go.
Also keeps the resale on the trailer as a military trailer.
And again, surplus tires are CHEAP. Just don't buy the exact tire new, they are too much money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Or get two surplus tires that are 90% or better and run it like they were designed.
Why go through all the extra trouble for something that is simple to start with.

Now, if the overall height is an issue, I can see changing it some. But stock tires would be really small on that trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts