JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Luigi’s muffler relocation kit tonight and thought I’d post some feedback for him.

This is a new kit Luigi0523 is selling and it comes with a Magnaflow muffler and a short piece of exhaust pipe that extends the stock pipe out to the back of the Jeep.

It’s easy to install and took me about 45 minutes:

1). Remove the stock muffler (I used a 3” crowbar to get it off the rubber mounts and some WD-40 to help slid it off the pipe).
2). Cut 16” of the stock pipe under the Jeep between the frame rails. I used a 4 ½” grinder with a cut off wheel and cut it in place.
3). Clamp the new muffler in the 16” gap.
4). Put the tip on the back where the stock muffler used to attach. I had to turn it slightly to clear my bumper and may trim up the tip so it’s flush.

That’s it, a no brainer and sounds really cool :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice!!!!!!

I was hoping I was only one with the beefy sound in Moab this weekend. :)

I probably paid twice the price by getting the cooltech kit. But I'm really happy with mine.

The wife doesn't like it as much as the old one though. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Looks good. How much coin? :D
The Kit is $199 + shipping or local pick up in Colorado.
Like Alec said " That’s it, a no brainer and sounds really cool "
PM me for more info

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's why it's cheaper. The pipe dumps straight down. nothing against it but in my opinion I like it dumping either straight back or to the driver side. Good alternative to cool tech and others. I have the woods kit and love it. Getting the muffler out of the back was one of the best things I did. besides the lift

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I had mine bent at a muffler shop. I had mine bent similar, just a little different. I personally feel dumping down is a better design then straight out. The reason I did not go with the woods kit is I would be worried about it being crushed against the rear beam as I have already hit that area a couple times. The woods kit is good though if you are using the tub enlargment kit.

Not sure how straight out makes it more expensive...?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The reason his is more expensive is because it is a stainless mandrel bent piece. FYI

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
oh, sorry. I miss understood. I thought you where saying Luigis peice was cheaper cuz it was bent down rather then straight. My bad...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey Guys, I can provide a straight out the back tailpipe also, upon request. I personally like the down turn as it tucks up out of the way and is less vulnerable. I had a straight tailpipe on my TJ and kept smashing it flat. It's just a personal choice. :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WTF_LOL noticed mine shaking a lot yesterday so I added some more support. I cut one of the mounting supports from the stock muffler, welded it to the tip and used the stock support on the driver side. I also cut the tip level with the bottom of the bumper, it still has a slight down turn but now it’s out the way.

Attachments

·
14ers
479 Posts
Awesome!

Alec,
I looked all over your spot to see what bumper you have installed and couldn't tell. Rock Hard?

Thinking I'm up to move mine soon. I saw the comment about the bend might be in the way of a possible tub enlargement. I assume that's the one from 4xfix.com. I was hoping to add the extra tub space after I moved the muffler. I wanted to make sure I don't have to do more work than I need to. Does anyone see a disadvantage to either the Woods or the Luigi (or the Cooltech for that matter) being in the way?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alec,
I looked all over your spot to see what bumper you have installed and couldn't tell. Rock Hard?

Thinking I'm up to move mine soon. I saw the comment about the bend might be in the way of a possible tub enlargement. I assume that's the one from 4xfix.com. I was hoping to add the extra tub space after I moved the muffler. I wanted to make sure I don't have to do more work than I need to. Does anyone see a disadvantage to either the Woods or the Luigi (or the Cooltech for that matter) being in the way?

I'm planning (eventually) on putting 2 batteries in the hidden storage section. I’ll be cutting the bottom out and extending it a few inches and the tailpipe won’t be in the way. This is one of the reasons I relocated the muffler.

Yes it's a Rock Hard bumper and I really like it a lot. Great quality and its bullet proof thus far. I landed hard on coming off a ledge in Moab and it didn’t flex at all.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ahhh, just a helpful tip. If you still have the plastic rear bumper, make sure the tip stays below the lower edge of the bumper....otherwise the hot exhaust WILL melt the lower edge of the bumper. AND if you get a backfire through the exhaust...as in the engine dies at speed and pumps raw gas and air through the very hot catalytic, you WILL set your bumper on fire for a brief moment as it spews flame across that plastic. It'll add excitement for the day. Ahh, the joy of looking in the mirror and seeing yellow flames dancing in the breeze, the cars to the rear slowing down and moving over, the adrenaline rush of deciding do I stop or hope that it goes out by itself? Yes, that's excitement. :laughing:

So, I still have that plastic bumper, waiting on the spare cash to upgrade to a tire carrier (I wanted the jeeperman but they're dead and gone). It IS melted on the lower edge from the flames and hot exhaust, and discolored in a half moon shape from the flames. And now some fine, upstanding citizen backed into the bumper and creased the plastic. So, that new bumper may be sooner than later.

(So, I asked cooltech for a new replacement tip (I bought an early version. They later changed the design a bit I understand). I even offered to pay for it. I never heard from them. So be it. What I have works and probably will when I get a less fragile bumper. But it sure would be nice to extend that tip down another inch.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts