JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is raining here so I was kind of bored and went out to the garage. I was going to see if my new 35's would fit the factory spare carrier without the aftermarket brackets. Well it did fit perfectly. My question is concerning the lugs. The factory lug nuts are the "acorn" or tapered style nuts. It works fine for the spare but the lug holes in the Soft 8's seem smaller than that of the factory wheels. I took one of the lugs off of the other wheels to make sure they were the same as the spare. Can i reuse these lugs even though the taper seems a little big or do they make a smaller taper. My new wheels aren't hub centric, but will the factory lugs nuts torqued down center the wheel since they are tapered lugs.

Sorry had a few beers while i was out there....I really hope that made since...did to me anyway....

:beer:Thanks:beer:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I hardly speak from experience,but I did read somewhere about the using the "optional" lug nuts for the soft 8's.Someone will show up with the right answer.:beer:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
There are three main types of lug nuts:

1. Conical - 60° either acorn or tapered seat.

2. Mag - Flat and uses a washer.

3. Ball - Rounded ball seat.

There are others but they are the main ones. Most rims these days use conical lug nuts.

If the rims require conical lug nuts then the factory ones should be just fine.

I have no idea what the "optional" lug nuts are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts