JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems with lug nuts loosening up over a short time? I regularly have to retighten them. weekly as a general rule.

I have actually considered putting loctite on the things to keep them tight.

they will stay tight if I use a large "cheater" bar but then they are over tightened and if I ever had to change a tire better have the bar with me.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
are you running aftermarket rims? if so have you removed the clips on the the lugs that are used to hold the rotor in place during reassembly? Some aftermarket rims do not have cut outs for them. If you are running stock rims I would change studs as sounds like they were over stretched at one time.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Not right and not safe. I would clean the studs very well with a small brush and some cleaner/ de-greaser to get into the threads... in case it's an issue with some kind of oil or grease in there. I would also clean the lug-nuts as well. If that doesn't work then I would look at replacing those lug nuts and/ or studs. Also check for any sign of damaged/ worn threads.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Also on some rims the hole for the lug nut has a bevel in the bottom of the hole that may not match the bevel angle of the lug nut and therefore you cannot get the correct torque.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
The only time I ever see lug nuts constantly loosening is when they've been routinely overtightened before, and the stud itself has been stretched. Yours could be a totally different issue, but just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it happens with both sets of wheels on the Jeep. I have alum that I run in summer and stock in winter. lug nuts get switched as well.

could be a stud issue, not sure I want to replace all of them. LOL sounds like a PIA. may look into it though.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
it happens with both sets of wheels on the Jeep. I have alum that I run in summer and stock in winter. lug nuts get switched as well.

could be a stud issue, not sure I want to replace all of them. LOL sounds like a PIA. may look into it though.
not nearly as much of a pain in the ass as having a wheel come off and possibly killing someone.

·
Registered
592 Posts
sounds like the studs to me. if you are swapping rims and lugs, and its still happening, they are the only common

·
Registered
95 Posts
is the other set of wheels hubcentric? check the center bore and compare it to the center ring on the hub of your jeep. If they are not the same, you should buy an adapter. summit racing sells all different sizes.

also if you swap lugs, make sure you have the propper lug nut. if you have oem nuts i would ditch them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would replace the studs and lug nuts

Sent by packets

·
Registered
619 Posts
Are you using a torque wrench and are you tightening them in a star pattern?

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
Are you using a torque wrench and tightening to 105 lbs ft?
Also if you are using the cheater bar you have definitely stretched the studs.
^ X2

altho' , I have been and always torque wrench my lugs to 95lbs - ft; no issues...
where did we get 105lbs,Matches? Have I been doin this wrong?

·
Registered
619 Posts
^ X2

altho' , I have been and always torque wrench my lugs to 95lbs - ft; no issues...
where did we get 105lbs,Matches? Have I been doin this wrong?
I do 95 also and have never had them come loose.

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
I anti-seize all my wheel studs and torque to 85 ft-lbs, running in a star pattern (1-3-5-2-4-ish).
I torque to 85 because lubed fasteners need less torque than dry ones, and 85 is the minimum that gives me warm/fuzzies.
Now running non-hubcentric wheels, I seat all the lug nuts by "hand" while rotating or wiggling the wheel before torquing.
The only 2 times a shop has removed and reinstalled my wheels, I went home and removed/reinstalled the lug nuts my way.

With the above protocols, I've never had a loose or too-tight lug nut in over 50K miles.
With a 5-tire rotation every 2500-3000 miles, I've had a few opportunities to check my results.

If anyone has stretched wheel studs, I suggest parking the "Thunder Gun" and busting out a measured amount of elbow grease.

My $.02, ignore it as you see fit. :D

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
This ^^^^

1 - 19 of 19 Posts