JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1194 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay everyone after getting way off the original build thread and now that we are just a couple of days from seeing major progress from Motech its time for this to resurface complete this time!

Starting out with a 2011 JKU with 4'' lift and 37's, Hemi here it is when we dropped it off on June 1st 2013

The main part of this build the supercharged GM 6.2 LSA- and dyno chart before it was pulled out of the car: Transmission is 6L90E

Transfer case will be an Atlas 2 with 3.0:1 gearing, hardened gears, and 300M shafts, with JK electronics and 1350 flanges

Tires and wheels:

40'' nitto trail grapplers and 17x10 raceline monster beadlock wheels

As it stands right now the front axle will be a spidertrax chromoly housing with a Hi9 third member with SSBC brakes
4.88 gears, ARB air lockers, 14'' rotors 8x6.5'' lug pattern

Hood: TOTL

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Axles gone, winch pulled, tires and wheels are gone, rear bumper is gone. Build will get in to high gear Monday and Tuesday

steering sector shaft brace:

steering:

howe steering gear box
psc- 8'' ram or howe 2''x8'' ram

New license plates are here:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Awesome!!
What's the motor out of? TypeV?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man oh man this thing is going to be CRAZY!!

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those MetalCloak shocks are pretty interesting. It would be cool to see them on this ring, if for no other reason than to get more of them out there to see how they hold up in the real world. The concept is awesome, just not many people running them yet.
Totally digging the powertrain, start to finish. Hard to go wrong with that kind of extensively-engineered drivetrain, and I'm pretty interested to see how things go with the integration. Pretty much any of the modern drivetrains are a win, but I've got a soft spot for GM's continued modularity and ease of use-- for the most part, anyway. That's gonna rock in there.
As for the axles, well, we've been over that before-- I think a toxic combination of mistaken expectations all around, and a "Cool Hand Luke"-style communication failure led to a bad impression. I think once they're in, and part of this bitchin' Jeep, we're all going to be happy.
The sliders.. not the burliest slider out there, but a very solid slider with a retractable step-- and made in Utah, as well. Steven's already said this rig is not going to be beaten to death, so I think this is a solid choice.

Looking forward to seeing this thing finished. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
You should be good to this week Mr Jimmy.
I am happy regardless. I am sure it will take them a couple of days to get it packaged up. I also want to say thanks for the help with the other item.

Now I have to get ready to do the swap. Thanks till now it's just been something that was coming. Now it's going to be sitting here.

:drunk::drunk:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Glad to see this going in the right direction again. Man Bluewave I just sit here and read this and can only dream. I can not wait to see your JK when it is done. I do hope to be able to put an LS in mine some day until then please continue and I will continue to dream thru your build.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Looking good!

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
I thought the other thread was straying from reality. When I met with Steve earlier this year this build was for a engine swap only; like so many of our other swaps the build grew. Axles, bumpers, rails, etc., got added.

Installing the LSA will present challenges since it is new for us and very different than the truck/suv engines we normally use. A swap with the truck/suv engine takes two to three weeks. Parts are on the shelf, programming is ready to go and we have done so many it is routine.

Most of you know we now support the LS3 Camaro/Vette engines; they required a new accessory drive, software and intake. It took a few months to gear up for them but now we are doing three more.

The CTV is a different ballgame, it uses an E67 controller, 6l90 transmission, the intake is on the opposite side and more. Steve and I agreed this build would take time, a lot of time, maybe into next year. The end result however should be one of the coolest JK's ever.

I say challenges because they are not problems, its pretty straightforward and complex at the same time but given the time for R & D it all works out. Once we determine a new circuit is needed it can take 3 weeks to a month to design, build and test it.

When we do a swap we want it to be as OE as possible, everything must work and appear stock. It's easy to throw an engine in there and get it to run in a stand alone mode, but that's not our way. A/C, cruise control, dash gauges must work like stock.

I'll post updates throughout the build but here's a few items on the list to get this thing going.

New E67 ECM and harness. Good news is we can use the stock 2-3 bar tune. GM uses a MAF for actual airflow calculations and a true 2-3 bar OS. This makes our job a lot easier. Many of you know the results when trying to add a supercharger on a 1 bar OS running speed density using calculated airflow, drivability suffers.

So we now need to learn the new ECM and BCM. The BCM is very important in the install, it controls many things like tap shift, power modes, cruise control and more. Wiring is very specific and one wire out of place and things don't work. Switch resistor values are different and must be tested and programmed into our software.

The Supercharger uses a water to air intercooler which is closed loop. We will install a separate water pump for the intercooler as well as the control for it.

We will most likely use a feedback fuel supply system. This includes a variable speed fuel pump, fuel pump control module and fuel rail pressure sensor. We must change the JK fuel module out and install the high performance module while keeping the fuel sending unit intact.

The air intake comes out the driver side so we will layout the engine components differently to accommodate.

There are many small things like the BPP, brake pedal position sensor. The CTV uses a powered 3 wire BPP. The OS uses it to determine brake pedal position from off to 100 percent. It is used for engine performance control. Engine compression braking and transmission shifting can change based on BPP. If the BPP is not installed the engine will go into one of many reduced power modes and we want all 600 hp.

So this will take time, the second one will be a breeze. Hopefully if you understand the complexity of the build and the high standards we set you will understand why it is not a quick build.

In the end it will be awesome. I give Steve credit for his vision and tenacity with this build. A lot of guys have talked about doing it but Steve is actually doing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 1194 Posts