JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did one of the early Motech swaps about 6 or 7 years ago, 2014 LC9/6L80 from a Silverado and I've had this problem since. Lately while doing my Defender swap I read about when you apply the brakes the torque converter clutch should disengage kind of like pushing the clutch in on a standard transmission. Would this be applicable to these transmissions and if so could someone explain or lead me to more information on this and where I should be looking.

I do have two left over wires that I never did find out where they go. One purple across the rear firewall and a white coming directly out of one of the ECM plugs as shown in pictures below. It idles around 550 rpm and I have heavy duty brakes that work great. I noticed on slippery conditions like ice I really have to get on the brakes as it will keep pushing.

Winter is coming and I figure I should fix this before it gets slippery again.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My Motech swap did this too. Robbie rewired it for me at his shop. But it still did it. Nothing like crab-walking when you are trying to sit at a stop.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
His girl replaced my entire harness and added a couple grounds. The instructions he sent with the kit (gen 2/3 combo) were not correct. I suspected from the start that the transmission wasn't tuned or programmed correctly. I bought it from him as a crate tranny. It had the chip in the housing. When installed, no shifting would happen. I had to have it programmed. It showed up with nothing installed.
I had to find a buddy who had s buddy with a programmer. Afterwards, it worked smooth, tap shift and all. But gear selection didn't provide engine braking and braking didn't remove drive torque.
I also didn't have a/c and the jk coolant sensor would read 260-280 when the gm bung read 180-200.
Robbie offered to diagnose if I came to Las Vegas. He never looked at the trans, but did fix the other issues, told me it was a ground issue and the trans would be good.
This is why I recommend John P Shoe over Motech.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've never noticed if I'm getting engine braking, I'll have to pay better attention. Removing the drive torque while brakes are depressed is my main concern, I've stumbled on a few things but nothing really explains it or what I could actually do. I'm kinda hoping Robbie or someone will jump in. I've had guys say it's because the gearing is too low which doesn't make sense when there's guys running 600+hp and Atlas transfer cases etc, they'd never stop lol.

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.