JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the Jeep tear down few days ago, so I thought I would post up my experience. Heres how she sat before the body tear off

Had been collecting parts for a few months and saving cash for the install kit. Picked up the engine and trans off ebay from a wrecked 2010 Tahoe 5.3 LM0 engine with DOD and the 6L80 6 speed transmission with just over 50K miles. I did a compression check on it and wasn't happy on 2 cylinders that were around 80 while rest was showing 140-180ish. I decided to spend some money on it and make sure it was right tore it all down bought a full gasket set and sent the heads to a shop for a cleaning valve grind and gave them the valve seals to install while I cleaned the rest of it and gave the rest of it a look over and new gaskets.

Here you can see the solinoids that control the Displacement on Demand

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the heads back and reassembled did another compression check and have 200Psi across the board. Forgot to mention that my jeep is also a manual and changing to an auto so another small bit of work for that. Had to go out and find an Auto shifter assembly cable and center console since I found out after I got shifter that its not compatible with it. I went ahead and carbon wrapped in it vinyl so it matches the rest of my interior.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First day of real progress spent 2 hours after work pulling seats center console removing cables to emergency brakes. Then went to starting in the engine compartment. I did remove Freon with machine at work before coming home so no venting we done. Drained coolant, removed rad and condenser all as one assembly with hoses. Took battery out and removed wiring harness and ground straps from body. Don't fullt take out mastercylinder but take loose from booster and hang from lines and ABS module same way, should not require any bleeding. Steering shaft out and zip tied steering wheel to top holder so cant turn and damage clockspring. Got all stuff that has to be sent off for modifying AC lines ECM and shifter assembly into a box, but still have to wait for harness from engine to be removed to put in box also.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 2 is one ill never forgot while at work phoned a few friends made arrangements for 3 people to bring over cherry pickers some chain and we made a plan to get the body off had three ideas and I picked the one I thought was best. Bolted chain through each seat mounting spots and ran to lowes bought 2 6X8X8's and ran those through the chains. Screwed 2X4 on all ends for no chain slippage and put the 4 pickers to all corners. 1 person maning each lift with me and another watching body for anything holding up got it high enough to roll body out. Scary...

now the plan was to roll it backwards into garage but it got scary fast so went forward put body down and maneuvered the frame by hand which I didn't think would be easy but its so light I can roll it up hill with one hand by myself and turn the wheels by pushing the rims. Body is so much heavier.

I had some 2X6X14's in back yard threw them under body and set it down since others wanted to push it out of driveway, I could care less but theres its home until im finished or until the city says I have to move it ><

So now got exhausts off which you have to for the wiring. Put wiring into box and is now ready to be shipped off the next day. Removed engine tranny and case all as 1 piece set it down and called it a night. that was 3 1/2 hours with some play time and a few beers in between :beer::beer::beer:

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 3 was another 2 hours spent removed old motor mounting brackets

setup my Chevy style evap system with a pressure sensor T'ed into vapor line and vent solenoid pipes off the jeep one that will be disabled so will be always open anyway. Took ac panel out for future wiring removed gas pedal assembly for future gm pedal. Removed transfer case and tossed into back of truck to take to work to fiddle with in my down time.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 4: Took about 45 mins to tear down transfer case to nothing but a pile of parts. You have to replace the input shaft so it will mount up to the GM 6L80

have to go out and buy 1 new seal for input shaft since it has to be removed for a hidden snap ring.

at a stand still for a few days waiting for parts from Motech to arrive

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep completely red neck looking but not in front but in the side yard. Funny story becuase I was worried out it out there becuase of city code. My wife called me on the monday which wss 2 days since took off that there was a knock on the door but she didnt answer since she didnt know the guy. Its a woman thing right? Anyeay he left in a flatbed tow truck so I was worried. Had her look st it the door and mailbox for anything from city for towing and nothing. So far so good and talked to a few nieghboors and they dont care and are excited to see it done also.

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Glad to see your build - and thread - progressing. Subscribed!

· Registered
407 Posts
Yep completely red neck looking but not in front but in the side yard. Funny story becuase I was worried out it out there becuase of city code. My wife called me on the monday which wss 2 days since took off that there was a knock on the door but she didnt answer since she didnt know the guy. Its a woman thing right? Anyeay he left in a flatbed tow truck so I was worried. Had her look st it the door and mailbox for anything from city for towing and nothing. So far so good and talked to a few nieghboors and they dont care and are excited to see it done also.
Murrica' lol

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a friend of a friend donate his old exhaust from his GTO which included manifolds back. I was planning on using the down pipe flanges and converters and fab up the piping. Found out when I got it that car piping is a 2 bolt style flange and trucks are 3 bolt. I then went to see if I bolted up the manifolds could I get away with using those and see about returning the trailblazer manifolds I bought. No good the GTO folds hit the motor mounts. I did get some converters I can use and still have to purchase the down spouts elsewhere.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Nice, there is a local guy doing one too, I think he may be done now. He's going to bring it by our local jeep club night and let us all drool over it.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.