JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, today while driving 70mph w/ 40 mph winds, I could not hold a conversation w/ the wife next to me. When I reached up and pulled on the front retainer of the soft top, the noise went away, quiet. Has anyone else had this problem?
I had the dealer take a looksy, of course they could not find any problems

·
Registered
900 Posts
My top is usually very quiet. More quiet than any other soft top vehicle I've ever owned. However, when hit with unusually strong gusts, the front of the top seems to lift away from the top of the windshield gasket enough to significantly alter the amount of wind noise in the cabin. I doesn't appear to worsen the leaking (because this has happened in rainy weather) but the excessive noise doesn't go away until I unhook the two windshield clamps on the front retaining bar and reset them. Previous soft top vehicles I've owned had windshield clamps with tensioning screws so that you could adjust the pull required to latch the clamp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a softtop that whistles almost all the time. It has bin doing this since we opened it in October. I am not really sure how to solve the problem without doing anything major.

·
Registered
900 Posts
There is a TSB for wind noise. It involves replacing the windshield header gasket. It's TSB 23-030-07. Worth a shot I suppose. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had that windshield header gasket replaced per the TSB...

Noise is worse than before. The dealer first replaced the retainer clips. No difference. Took it back and they then replaced the windshield header gasket. Now the wind noise level is greater. I remember seeing on the forum that someone placed some form of strip at the header. Since there is no adjustment in the retainer clips that could provide for more pressure against the windshield header, it would seem something to fill the gap might be worth looking into. I also saw something in the Quadratech catalog, by Lange I believe. Maybe something like that could work. Anything that someone here could suggest would be greatly appreciated. When I first bought the Jeep, I was impressed with how quiet the ride was. It would be great to get that back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts