JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the chance to take the Jeep out in about 10" of snow today to get some pizza for my pregnant wife. On the way home, I happened upon a guy and his wife who had put their 2wd Dodge P/U into a ditch. What great feeling it was to be able to help someone out while snowing so hard and being about 20 degrees.
I took some doing, but we finally got him out.

Question is this:
I had it in 4wd Low and in D... we looped a strap around his frame and placed both ends onto the back of the Jeep (rear tow hook in the receiver). Several times the wheels spun hard trying to get traction on the snow and ice and trying to pull him out... can I damage my Jeep by over-revving the engine / tires (within reason)?

Anything I could have done better?

TIA
Hammer

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
just as long as you aren't running it much over redline for more than a few seconds, you should be fine....but i assume JK's have a rev limiter that won't let you run it with the RPM's that high (most late model vehicles do nowadays). but, i don't know for certain that it has a rev limiter, since i've never tried to test it out.

A

·
0 Posts
What you describe won’t hurt the Jeep.

First rule of pulling a truck with no 4x4 style tow hooks is to let the owner attach the strap. That way he can’t blame you if you pull the bumper off.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
First rule of pulling a truck with no 4x4 style tow hooks is to let the owner attach the strap. That way he can’t blame you if you pull the bumper off.
Amen. That's the first thing I tell them "you do it..." I usually follow that up w/ "You better put it on right too...and if that thing snaps off and hit's my Jeep....."

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
What you describe won’t hurt the Jeep.

very good advice from another guy in a very snowy area, i might have lived that a few times back in high school with a Toyota 4x4, but i regress

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies... guess that always happen when one loses their virginity - "Did I do it right?"
Anyway - here is what I was using: Strap I bought from Quadratec... KEEPER RECOVERY STRAP 30'X3"(30K LBS) 02933 http://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_503.htm
Is there really difference between say the Keeper strap and an ARB or Warn strap?

A

·
0 Posts
Is there really difference between say the Keeper strap and an ARB or Warn strap?
That’s a good strap. I don’t think "like strength" straps are any different personally, all you want to do is avoid straps with metal hooks on them. If a strap snaps you really don’t want that metal hook coming at you at high velocity :eek::eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts