JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question of minor consequence but I'm very curious as I have searched and no one else seems to mention having this issue.

Does anyone else have an issue with the upper sway bar link bolts coming loose?

Admittedly, I do not have a lot of miles on my jeep and I have the Rubicon Express fixed links that come with my lift I installed in '09. The links use a bushing on both ends. Since being installed the bolts/nuts work loose, to what seems to me, extremely fast. I've used nylon locking nuts, double nutted, replacement bolts and all efforts have not worked yet. I've just incorporated tightening them in routine maintenance; no big deal because I find myself under my jeep a lot :D. The issue has not irritated me enough to actually put forth enough effort to fix the issue permanently.

I have resigned to replace the links that use rubber bushing with a different set which use heim joints.

Out of all the stuff I have done to the jeep this little issue seems to be the most annoying. This summer I was home most of the time so I actually got some miles in. On the way home from town one day I noticed more body sway than normal even for a loose bolt. Coming off the mountain 'round a curve with the wind blowing and changing lanes took more driver input than normal. Got home looked under and the passenger side bolt was gone. :eek:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
This is where a castle nut and cotter pin work well. Even if you have to drill the bolt yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
had it happen to me on pass side w a set of tf links but I didn't notice any addnl body roll just doing a regular check and was like WTF. have a new set of links to install but haven't gotten time to throw them on.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Happens to me. Running a long arm lift and we beat the shit out of our sway bar when we don't disco it. A lot of stress on it you can really twist them up. I use red locktiteand heep an eye on them.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Why wouldn't you disco the swaybar when you wheel?!?
Having a Rubi and a button to disco the sway bar I actually wheel a lot with it connected. It maybe my "butt sensor" but on sideways camber situations having the sway bar connected seems to make it feel less tippy. I'm not a fan of sideways tippy spots and they always seem to have a 500 foot plus death drop in this part of the country :laughing:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Having a Rubi and a button to disco the sway bar I actually wheel a lot with it connected. It maybe my "butt sensor" but on sideways camber situations having the sway bar connected seems to make it feel less tippy. I'm not a fan of sideways tippy spots and they always seem to have a 500 foot plus death drop in this part of the country :laughing:
It does help with off-camber sidehill stuff by keeping the weight more equally distributed across the front axle. Light trails and overland i'd keep it connected too.

Sent via Telegraph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.