JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep belongs to my wife and will see very light 4x4ing so i dont feel lockers are needed. I currently has the Goodyear 32s on 17s. Planning on going with a leveling kit and 33s in the next 6 months. First this thing needs some power. It currently has the 3.21 gear and its just disgusting on the interstate. Any hill at all your going to 5th and then add a few more degrees and your in 4th and then it only hold the speed. I sure some out there feel my pain. Jeep will be a DD with some highway on 33's. What gear is for me? 4.10 or 4.56? 3.73? Im lost! Help me please. And thanks in advance. :beer:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
4.10s at the least.

If you're going to be changing gears out, I'd recommend the 4.88. I'm running them with 35's and have pretty good power. I've also got the intake mod, throttle body spacer, and exhaust. I still need to chip it though.

I know you're not thinking about lockers, but if you feel that you might ever need them, it would be a good time to do it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with K-Bear. I'm waiting for my rear gears now. I'm on 35s and going 5.13 with an automatic. From empirical evidence you can go one step lower (higher numerically) with an automatic for the same effect.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you have a 6 speed then 4.56 would do for 33" but if you have a Auto go with the 4.88

If I was you I'd go with the 4.88 anyway since then you would be able to go to a 34" or 35" without much issue.

One question, do you tow with this jeep?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I know you're not thinking about lockers, but if you feel that you might ever need them, it would be a good time to do it.
Won't he have to change the carrier anyway coming from 3.21? If so, lockers would make even more sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a 6 speed then 4.56 would do for 33" but if you have a Auto go with the 4.88

If I was you I'd go with the 4.88 anyway since then you would be able to go to a 34" or 35" without much issue.

One question, do you tow with this jeep?
Yes this jeep will be used to tow an ATV and 2-3 Dirt Bikes.

Won't he have to change the carrier anyway coming from 3.21? If so, lockers would make even more sense.
If I have to do all that to just regear to a lower gear I will just go ahead a order the Rubicon D44 axles complete from mopar and sell the ones that are on it now. By the time I buy 2 new carriers, 2 sets of gears and have them installed I could just order the Rubi's and swap them in myself since they come complete and just hook up the wires and Ill have lockers too with the stronger front axle. Thanks all for the input but please let me know if this is a bad plan too. Im looking to regear with in 3 months.

·
Registered
127 Posts
JK Axles use the same carrier for all gear ratios. Since you mention 3.21 I assume 2dr and 6 speed? If so 4.10 (rubicon axles nice upgrade BTW) make for a great gear with 33's. We've put several of these combos together and the owners are plumb tickled.

With a 4dr it's a whole new ball game, 4.88 minimum... IMO

Bob

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Jeep belongs to my wife and will see very light 4x4ing so i dont feel lockers are needed. I currently has the Goodyear 32s on 17s. Planning on going with a leveling kit and 33s in the next 6 months. First this thing needs some power. It currently has the 3.21 gear and its just disgusting on the interstate. Any hill at all your going to 5th and then add a few more degrees and your in 4th and then it only hold the speed. I sure some out there feel my pain. Jeep will be a DD with some highway on 33's. What gear is for me? 4.10 or 4.56? 3.73? Im lost! Help me please. And thanks in advance. :beer:
I.M. WOODS

He had one of the first sets of 4:56's installed in his Rubicon, he is still on 33's to this date with a 6 speed and doesn't have ant issue's

Also check out his items @ 4xfix.com too.:thefinger:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasnt really wanting to buy the rubi axles yet. So now that I know I need the 4.56 gears where is the best place to get them and how much will my milage suffer? Right now Im getting about 22-23 on the highway and about 18-19 in the city. That is hand calculated too not going by the dash thing which is always off by about 2 mpg. And thanks for all the info, really appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, that's pretty good. I really need to get that surgery to get the lead out of my foot :D

Yeah My wife likes riding in the slow lane on cruise control and letting everyone pass her, that why she never has to hit the brakes and maintains good speed (about 65 to 70 or whatever the speed limit is) and saves gas and honestly unless your going 100+ for hundreds of miles you may save 20 mins on a 500 mile trip by speeding and to us its just worth the extra gas and the possibility of a ticket. So do you think the 4.56s will seriously hurt my mpg? Some say it will help it though.

Anyway doesnt really matter I just dont want it to drop like 5 mpg but 2-3 would be ok. :beer:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'd say that it would help your mileage. My JK has 35" tires and the stock 4.10 Rubicon gears. On the highway it shifts out of overdrive at even a hint of a hill and acceleration is non-existent. We recently took a long road trip and I'm confident that if the Jeep had been better geared (5.13s for me, one of these days...) that I would have had much better mileage. The engine just has to work too hard outside its powerband with the stock gearing. :shaking:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts