JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on Verizon and am looking at tablets. The productivity is the main reason. I spend a lot of time in my truck or on job sites. I need to keep up with reciepts and invoices on every job. Right now I am using excel spreadsheet to do that. Does excel work on any of the tablets. I also need to download documents from the tablet to the server in the office. Job Notes, pictures, the ability for customers to sign documents on the tablet, email are all important items to me. I have no problem smacking a lippy subcontractor or crawling into a shit filled crawl space but technology is not my strong suit. Any and all advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go cheap. I've seen some of the cheaper tablets and I gave up trying to help people out. The cheap ones are running an older OS and are super slow.. Stick with the good names and do a little homework. Asus and Samsung are some of the best. There are other just can't remember the names.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
I am currently typing this on an iPad. I bought a little Acer A100, which had a dual core processor and HC 3.2 on it. It just wasnt very refined. The really high end tablets like the Motorola Xoom, the Acer A500, Asus Transformer are probably going to be your best bet on the Android side. The Acer W500 runs Win7. The iPad will be able to do everything you listed, so can the Android tabs, as long as you buy the right apps for either. The cool thing about the iPad is the Logitech keyboard case that is a hard aluminum case that snaps over the screen and when you take it off it turns into a bluetooth keyboard stand turning it into a makeshift laptop.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I bought the misses an iPad2. She works for CSpan and uses the damn thing everywhere. She speaks volumes of it and loves the damn thing. Just another option to keep open brother!:beer:

·
Registered
866 Posts
iPad doesn't support any Flash based web apps. In a few years that won't be an issue since Flash is supposed going away.
Does Netflix Streaming work on an iPad?

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
I bought a Le Pan Android based tablet for my son. It's a GREAT value. The screen is large and very clear. It's a little over $200 and looks as good as the Samsungs.

Don't know much about the MS office on it.

LINK TO LE PAN TABLET

·
Registered
68 Posts
iPad. No question. None of these devices will run actual Excel, all have programs that will run Excel spreadsheets, but don't actually have all the features. Depending on what you are doing with Excel, this may or may not be a problem. If it is a problem, start looking at small laptops and a cellular modem. Another option would be a tablet that runs Windows, as it will actually run real Excel. Trade off is more weight and less battery life than the Apple or Android units. My vote would be an iPad with the built in cellular modem. That's what I run and am very happy with its performance.

Paul

PS if I did need a Windows operating system and wanted a tablet format I would buy a ASUS Eee Slate. Play with one if you can find one locally. They are very cool.

PJ

·
Registered
168 Posts
At this point in the tablet world it really comes down to 2 choices. The iFad... er. . .I mean iPad or the Asus Prime. The Prime has the new quad core processor!! Really fast! I guess if you want to turn it on and never have to do anything but download apps, than the iPad is the way to go. If you like to tinker and customize things so that your tablet doesn't look like every other guy/gals iPad sitting at the local Starbucks, only with a different background, then go with Android (Prime).

Personaly I have the Moto Xoom, and love it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
At this point in the tablet world it really comes down to 2 choices. The iFad... er. . .I mean iPad or the Asus Prime. The Prime has the new quad core processor!! Really fast! I guess if you want to turn it on and never have to do anything but download apps, than the iPad is the way to go. If you like to tinker and customize things so that your tablet doesn't look like every other guy/gals iPad sitting at the local Starbucks, only with a different background, then go with Android (Prime).

Personaly I have the Moto Xoom, and love it!
Posts like this are always amusing. The iPad is not a fad, but incredibly popular for a large number of reasons. If you are worried that your tablet might look like someone else's tablet, then you should definitely stay away from the iPad. If you want a tablet that you can tinker with, stay away from the iPad ( although you can modify the iPad if you want to "jailbreak" it also ) As far as downloading applications, you can certainly do a lot of that with the iPad since the library of applications is much larger for the iPad than the android application library. Also, Apple is a little tough on their developers. For example an application that produced fart noises was not initially approved for the library although it has subsequently been approved. However, the applications that are available are tested to fit the approved "apple" standards, which means that it is less likely to do something to your iPad that you don't want or expect than an environment where just about any application can be made or distributed. The Android software market is more like the wild west. You may get software not available on an iPad, but is that what you are seeking?

It's almost like cars. If you want a FUN awesome ride that has been modified to your exacting specs, you may want to buy a Jeep and heavily modify it. If you want a reliable daily driver you may be better off buying something and not modifying it. Regarding tablets: You want a reliable daily driver or a hotrod that may not perform as reliably or easily. When it comes to computing, I think I will take the reliable. That's not to say the iPad is slow. Go play with one and see for yourself.

Paul

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't really care about style. I am definitely a function over form kinda guy. I have a droid x and am somewhat familiar with that system so I lean that direction. I went to verizon today and looked and to be honest they all seem about the same. I have a laptop that I use on a regular basis but it can be a pain waiting for that thing to come on and connect to the internet while on a job site. It is my understanding that the ipad has more apps but in all honesty, I really don't need that many apps. I care more about speed and durability. Right now I am considering either the ipad or the droid xyboard, The droid boasts about its durability but the Ipad has been out longer and I would think that they have worked out most of the bugs. Does any one have any experience with the xyboard? Thanks for all the help.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
The reason I use the iPad more than any other device is the instant on functionality. If I want to get to JKO to read Dancin Dan's maniacal rants, this thing gets me here like a magical Jeep forum portal. The Acer wasn't as snappy or ready to go at times. I love Android and I have a Samsung Galaxy SII now which is the top -o- the line in Android devices right now on the phone side, Gingerbread 2.3.6 is awesome on it. I just don't think Honeycomb is there yet. The phone iterations of Android have had more time for refinement. Tablet OS is still catching up IMO. The iPad just works, which is why it's still my go to device for web, entertainment, etc...

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
I'd ride it out till the prices come down on the tablets running win7 or the apple equivalent.
They kind of remind me of the jitterbug cell phones for the Droid and iPhones lol.
Neighbor has a samsung galaxy. Cool.
Buddy's old lady has an iPad. Also cool.
They are both mild compared to their respectable OS.
I don't run many apps that I'm aware of so I guess I'm waiting for a tablet that can run like a laptop for a fair price. They're on their way.
Good luck with your choice.:beer:

Does iPad swype? I've been getting better at swyping on the droid2

iPad. No question. None of these devices will run actual Excel, all have programs that will run Excel spreadsheets, but don't actually have all the features. Depending on what you are doing with Excel, this may or may not be a problem. If it is a problem, start looking at small laptops and a cellular modem. Another option would be a tablet that runs Windows, as it will actually run real Excel. Trade off is more weight and less battery life than the Apple or Android units. My vote would be an iPad with the built in cellular modem. That's what I run and am very happy with its performance.

Paul

PS if I did need a Windows operating system and wanted a tablet format I would buy a ASUS Eee Slate. Play with one if you can find one locally. They are very cool.

PJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.