JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 4dr JK doesn't have enough dome light for my liking. I've thought about finding a rear view mirror with map lights on the bottom to add some additional light up in front of me. With the dome light overhead and slightly behind the 2 front seats, the front seat lighting is lacking. Anyone else already BTDT as far as adding better lighting for the front 2 seats? Let's see and hear what you did.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a Bestop overhead console that has a built in dome light, two pockets, a place to attach a garage door opener, and an extra power plug. The best part is the light.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just looked on Bestop site and didn't see anything. Do you know if it's discontinued or from another vehicle?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
You can run LED strips up in the footwells. You won't see the LED's just the light that they put out. Also you can run LED strips on the center console just below the lip. I think I have 3 on the center console.

something like this in the footwells and under the rear seats.

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That overhead console looks like it would fit the bill perfect....too bad it's discontinued. I'd bet the price is what led to it's demise....not enough sales. Oh well....the search goes on for additional lighting for the front seating area.

Is there power available in the front windshield area or has everyone that added lights and put pics up here just ran a hot line down to the battery or other power supply?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
i did the same thing as USMGC up there. gives off abunch of light. i also took 2 headlamps from walmart, took the strap off, and double sided taped them to the soundbar.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All of these options look good....but I'm mainly looking for some sort of lighting that I can place overhead. I need it overhead so it will help with seeing/reading at night.

·
22,098 Posts
I will post a pic tonight of my center console lights. What do you want to read that you need lights? Shouldn't you be concentrating on the road more?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm working on the same problem in my '08 right now. Not enough light in the front or the back at night. I've looked in Auto Parts stores, marine stores, Cabelas, Academy, Quadtratec, etc. etc. for some sort of easy-to-add light(s) that are bright enough.

For me, I won't be using these that often, but when you need 'em, you need 'em. Even something that's battery operated would probably work, but most of those don't put out enough light to do any good.

However, at Cabela's, I ran across a Coleman brand LED tent light, that runs on AAA batteries and puts out 60 lumens. In the Jeep at night, it's plenty bright enough. And for the JKU, one of these can be velcroed to the front of the factory sound bar to light up the front (and read those maps), and to the back panel of the hardtop in the rear, for more luggage area lighting.

Don't yet know how long the batteries will last in these (going to use Lithiums), but I'm going to start with these. If they don't work, I'll try some LED lights that are wired to vehicle power.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I just want interior light to find stuff. at night when your broken down or helping a buddy with a problem and you want to find tools it is nice to be able to see under the seats or in front for stuff.

I also want rock lights but there is no way it should cost $200 for a light setup. still researching that one.

so I went to a tool and parts shop that we have up here in Canada called princess auto. most everyone would like this store. found some small in interior lights. going to hood them up to the dome light circuit. trying just 2 for now. Will get more as i need. probably four more for under the seats. these are $3.00 each. will post up results if anyone is requesting to see what I am doing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on this thread....I added a few footwell lights to the two front seats and that has improved the interior light. I got footwell light sockets from a late 90's Chevy truck at PYP that take a 194 blade type bulb. Hung them from the bottom of the dash and wired them to the dome light circuit, white/yellow wire on pass. kick panel. I was surprised how much they helped with the dimly lit interior of the JK. I still have a mirror to wire in.

I got a factory rearview mirror with Autodim & LED map lights from an 01 Chrysler Sebring convertible at PYP also. I have not wired it in yet as I'd like to find constant 12v to tap into so I can have the map lights on without using the dome light circuit that the footwell lights are tapped into. Anyone know where I can find constant 12v as close to the upper windshield as possible?

I went thru a few different rearview mirrors w/ maplights. The lenses on most of them cast the light in the wrong place since the JK dash sticks out flat on top so far. Any of them would work and help but finding one with the right angle on the maplights has been a challenge. I think this LED one is as good as it's going to get. That is unless I happen upon a junked '13 JK to grab a mirror out of. Dealer wants almost $300 for a '13 JK lit mirror....no thanks!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Update on this thread....I added a few footwell lights to the two front seats and that has improved the interior light. Hung them from the bottom of the dash and wired them to the dome light circuit, white/yellow wire on pass. kick panel. I was surprised how much they helped with the dimly lit interior of the JK. I still have a mirror to wire in.

I got a factory rearview mirror with Autodim & LED map lights from an 01 Chrysler Sebring convertible at PYP also. Anyone know where I can find constant 12v as close to the upper windshield as possible?I went thru a few different rearview mirrors w/ maplights. The lenses on most of them cast the light in the wrong place since the JK dash sticks out flat on top so far.
nice. I havent done this but I read it is a yellow/white meaning a yellow with white stripe. which is it?

Love the mirror upgrade. I will be looking for that myself now. will the autodim work? I am guessing yes.

as far as power I will keep an eye out for power that you would want on the ignition circuit. there is the cirgarette lighter power supplies, the fuse box under the dash may have some circuits available.
but there is a more ideal circuit that the rear interior light is on. when you push it the light switches on. I would try and have those map lights setup to come on with the doors and when the map light is pressed. you could use the same circuits that the rear interior lights use. that would be the best ones. you know one of the circuits, just need to open up that rear interior light to find the color of the other circuit.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I added four light bars from oznium.com and they are ridiculously bright. I have one on the front and rear of the sound bar and front and rear if the rear bar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352433286.525962.jpg

·
Registered
499 Posts
I used the piranha LED tubes, but they don't sell them anymore. I have about 10 of them sitting here in warm white (PM me as I can let a few go). The new 360 tubes look pretty slick and are the size of a pencil. These would be nice because you could just have one underneath rather than one on each side like I do. http://www.oznium.com/linear-lights

1 - 20 of 28 Posts