JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys and girls all know, take the roof and doors off and all chances of having a reasonable mobile phone conversation goes right out the.... door/roof/window. Because I live in the Peoples Republik of Suckachusetts I fully expect the nanny state to impose some sort of hands free only device law soon. Because as we all know, more laws = safer :rolleyes:

So... I'm looking for the Honey Badger of all headsets. Wind noise? Road/Tire noise? Honey Badger Headset shouldn't give a shit. Or at least I'm looking for one that doesn't.

I saw the NT3 by IASUS and am mightily intrigued. Its a wired solution vs. a wireless but that doesn't really bother me. I just want to hear and be heard.

IASUS Concepts transponder technology is the only headset solution that gives drivers effective handsfree mobile communication in top-down environments.

Spring 2011- The recent proliferation of handsfree driving regulations has, until now, left convertible drivers without a viable mobile communications solution. Now, however, IASUS Concepts is offering one. With the NT3 Throat Mic Headset, IASUS brings its original Noise Terminator technology to a mobile communications headset that bypasses the acoustic difficulties of high-speed, high-wind conditions convertible drivers face.

Convertible owners face unique challenges in operating their communications devices because of wind turbulence. The IASUS Noise Terminator line of throat microphones, utilizing transponder technology first developed for tank drivers in WWII, is the only effective solution to these extreme acoustic conditions. This is because the sole source of audio for throat mic transmissions is the vibrations generated from within the neck, as opposed to frequencies carried through the air. Other headsets utilize “wind noise cancellation,” which is not effective when exposed to the actual mechanics of the strong winds present in top-down convertible environments. IASUS Throat Mics pick up only direct voice signals, in effect eliminating environmental noise. This makes them uniquely effective in noisy, high-wind surroundings, unlike “noise canceling” Bluetooth® headsets and speakerphones that still fail to perform under open convertible conditions.

The NT3 headset features the IASUS Gen 3.0 Noise Terminator transponder, tangle-resistant braided nylon wiring, and an acoustic coil earpiece. It is compatible with most mobile phones that include a 2.5 mm or 3.5mm jack, including iPhone™, BlackBerry®, and select Nokia™ and Motorola® models.

For the convertible enthusiast who has been waiting for a truly effective handsfree headset for their spirited open-top drives, the IASUS NT3 Throat Mic headset is the ideal communications solution.

The MRSP for the IASUS NT3 Throat Mic is 89.00 USD. It is available through IASUS authorized resellers and comes with a one year manufacturer’s warranty. IASUS Concepts welcomes reseller and distributor inquiries. For more information, visit http://www.iasus-concepts.com[url]www.iasus-concepts.com[/URL].
So, do any of you folks have experience with this thing or experience with a headset that actually works in a vehicle with roof off and/or doors off?

Thanks in advance.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
That looks pretty sweet. I just dropped quite a bit on a V-Moda headset w/ mic, hoping to help with hands free phone calls, but the people on the other end still can't hear me. The headphones themselves are great - but it defeats the purpose of paying more for the mic if I can't use it. :suicide:

I sent it back to V-Moda to see if it was a defective unit.

If it just sucks in general, I might have to check those out instead.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Supposedly, the Jawbone headsets have two mics.. One for voice and the other to read ambient sound to cancel it out. I just can't bring myself to spend $100+ for something that I'll end up destroying.

Honestly, I've had the best luck with my $11 Jabra BT125. It rarely was affected by outside sound and I didn't feel bad when I lost/broke/washed it.

Holy shit.. I just looked and people either figured out how good it was for the price, or they stopped making them and it's getting more costly because of dwindling supply... but shit.... I paid $11 for the last one I bought on Amazon, and they're on there for $40 now. Damn.

I still have both of mine, and they still perform better than the Motorola one someone gave me. They fit into my ear with such perfection I don't even need the earpiece (which is good because one of them broke). Even the one I washed still kinda works.

~SoCo

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I dont have any experience with this particular device but I did use something similar as a bouncer. The only thing I dont understand is how they would make something like this NOT be a PTT device. I'm thinking about buying it just to see how it works provided they have a good return policy just in the event that it sucks I can return it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Supposedly, the Jawbone headsets have two mics.. One for voice and the other to read ambient sound to cancel it out. I just can't bring myself to spend $100+ for something that I'll end up destroying.

Honestly, I've had the best luck with my $11 Jabra BT125. It rarely was affected by outside sound and I didn't feel bad when I lost/broke/washed it.

Holy shit.. I just looked and people either figured out how good it was for the price, or they stopped making them and it's getting more costly because of dwindling supply... but shit.... I paid $11 for the last one I bought on Amazon, and they're on there for $40 now. Damn.

I still have both of mine, and they still perform better than the Motorola one someone gave me. They fit into my ear with such perfection I don't even need the earpiece (which is good because one of them broke). Even the one I washed still kinda works.

~SoCo

I had a Jawbone when I first bought the Jeep and it sucked balls on both ends. Both with me trying to hear people talking to me and the people I was talking to. Neither of us could hear shit and that was just with all the windows down, I still had the top on.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have any experience with this particular device but I did use something similar as a bouncer. The only thing I dont understand is how they would make something like this NOT be a PTT device. I'm thinking about buying it just to see how it works provided they have a good return policy just in the event that it sucks I can return it.
They have PTT options for it if you want them. There's also tactical/tacticool options for those so inclined

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
They have PTT options for it if you want them. There's also tactical/tacticool options for those so inclined
I saw the PTT option but I doubt anyone would want that for a cell phone. That kind of defeats the purpose of being "hands free" IMO.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Agreed. Wires = ok.
PTT = PITA for a cell phone
I am totally fine with the wires part. In fact I prefer it for 2 reasons. 1 you dont have to worry about it dropping a call b/c of a bad connection and 2 you never have to worry about the stupid battery dying. Im really curious to find out how well the built in bluetooth works on the newer Wranglers.

Edit: I will tell you one thing that worries me. I've been calling the USA based companies to find out about their return policy and no one is answering. They all go to voice mails asking you to leave a message. I found one place where its $80 and then $14 for shipping and handling. For their return policy it says "Items may be returned within 15 days of receipt by completing our returns process. No items may be returned after 30 days. Returns must be in new and unused condition, with the original packaging, labels, and manufacture tags attached. Customer will pay the shipping for the returned item. You are responsible if the item does not arrive to our facility." Not really to found of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.