JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't shot much, but looking to change that.

I am looking for something slightly comfortable, able to take shooting for a day or more a week. I would also like something that isn't going to make me go broke when I buy ammo.

Doesn't need to be a conceal carry, but eventually I would like to get my permit and carry something. Would be nice to have the same but might look for something else for my conceal carry when the times comes.

Looking for a handgun, reasonable in price (under 800 would be ideal).

Any suggestions?

Looked at the following, but I haven't shot any of them.
Smith and Wesson M&P (9MM)
Sig Sauer P250C (9MM)
Glock 19 Gen 3 (9MM)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Glock 19. One of the best pistols ever made. But aside from that I would suggest, as I'm sure many others are going to, going to a range and rent as many pistols as you can. Get a feel for what you like and buy that. Everything pistol related really boils down to preference.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You definitely want to shoot it before you buy it, whatever "it" is.
My suggestion is the Springfield XDs (9mm or .45).

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Was mentioned, but go to a range that rents guns and try a few.

9mm will be the cheapest to shoot in defensive calibers. You can still go broke though...lol.

Glock 19, M&Pc, and similar sized compact handguns should be easy to shoot and concealable.

May even try subcompact sized handguns, like a Glock 26, M&P Shield, Sig 938, Ruger LCP, XDs, etc to see how easily you can shoot, and are these are a little easier to conceal.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
rent a couple

if you're an inexperienced shooter you might not be able to tell the subtle differences in trigger and perceived recoil. just concentrate on what feels the best in your hand.

one of the most important things is making sure the gun fits you correctly.

i shoot a FNS40 with an inforce APL and carry it in a KT-mech owb holster.
my EDC is a Kahr CM9.
my wife has an FNS-9 with the same setup as my .40

and i have a walther PPQ which has a pretty much insane trigger.

I tried to like glock, i just couldn't. I don't like their grip angle. and i wasn't wild about the trigger either.

As others said, go try out a few. but don't overlook the FNH guns. especially since you can get the FNS without a manual safety just like a glock. it's a good platform and you get 3 mags and night sights for under 500 bucks.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/fnh-fns-9-semi-auto-pistol-9mm-black-night-sights-new-47995

or closer to 400 with regular sights

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Agreed on the FNH line, great stuff. I have three and they take a back seat to nothing. I also EDC a Kahr P9 or P45, and that is a great gun in a perfect size, comfy to shoot and accurate but easy to conceal. Since you haven't shot much if you do end up looking at Kahrs, stick with 9mm. It's a great place to start and you won't develop the potentially bad habits that come with shooting a larger caliber as your first sidearm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
im a gen4 glock and S&W M&P guy. ive got a gen4 26 and 19, s&w mp9 full size, and a s&w m&p shield 9mm. I only shoot 9mm but have owned a couple 45 1911 and sold both. ive had gen4 g17, sig p229 9mm, and a keltec pf9 9mm (Zimmerman gun lol). I liked the sig but too heavy for carrying everyday IMO, same with the 1911s. ive shot the XD and XDs pistols and didn't care for them bc of the back strap safety and it was hard to rack the slide on my holster one handed bc of the backstrap safety. the XD feels really weird in my hand too. Ive CCW the shield everyday since last summer from when I walk out the door for work to going into town but sometimes I carry the 26 or the 19.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is a manual safety needed? I mean not like I am going to be leaving it out. A friend was trying to push me to a maker that had an external safety and lock built in. I didn't think any of that was really a deal breaker though.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Is a manual safety needed? I mean not like I am going to be leaving it out. A friend was trying to push me to a maker that had an external safety and lock built in. I didn't think any of that was really a deal breaker though.
Are you looking at 1911 pistols? Springfield Armory has a trigger lock built into some of their 1911 models. That sort of stuff is a personal choice. I don't view it as a requirement but if it helps you sleep at night then yes. The majority of my handguns have external safeties but I didn't consider the safety when I bought them. Having said that, I'd be a little wary carrying a hand gun with a chambered round and full magazine unless I had an external safety or a very long and firm trigger pull. Just Me. Really don't want to discharge a round pulling from a holster.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
I actually prefer not having a manual safety.

one less failure point. and not failure as in the gun fails, but failure as in the user fails to remember to disengage the safety in a stressful situation.

my FNS40 is the version without the manual safety. and my walther PPQ and Kahr CM9 is the same way. although many of my other guns in the past have had a manual safety. after training with all of them it's much more simple and effective to just not have one.

That said, a good holster is key. people worry about carrying without a safety but in all actuality as long as you have a good holster that covers the trigger you are good.

pretty much all modern pistols have firing pin blocks. so they can't go off if they're just dropped. and both my PPQ and FNS have trigger safeties. (the kahr is DAO with a long smooth heavy pull like a revolver)

if you go 1911 you obviously don't have a choice since it's single action only.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I depends on what you get. If you have a single action then yes. If you have a striker fire or double action then no. I carry a Sig p229, Sig p938, G19, or the Springfield Armory XDS in 45. The Sig p938 is single action so I carry that with one in the chamber safety on. The Sig p229 is double/single with no safety, so I use the decocker and carry it double action. You wouldnt want to carry single action with one in the pipe if you didn't have a safety. It's just not safe. But for double action or striker fired it doesnt matter b/c it has a long trigger pull.

·
Registered
990 Posts
First gun should be a full size or compact (not subcompact) polymer 9mm. Cheapest real defensive round to practice with.

Glock, XD, M&P. take your pick on what feels best in your hand. Glock19 is a great option.

From there you can decide to buy more guns anywhere from 22's (cheaper to shoot) to 1911 .45's (my favorite round)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Important factor:
What are you using it for?

If you're just target shooting, then whatever 9mm feels best in your hand would be the least expensive to shoot.

If you're hiking and camping the Colorado mountains and want to stop a wild animal from eating you or your family, then I would suggest a .45 with a lot of capacity, but still somewhat compact. Like maybe an XD45 with 13+1 capacity.

If you mountain bike or dirt bike the mountains and want a comfortable defense weapon to carry under moto gear, I would suggest an XD-S 45 because it is extremely compact, very slim/light, and you can still carry 10 rounds of .45 plus another mag or three in a pocket or pack. Or a Sig Sauer SC maybe, if you want to spend a bit more.

If you want home defense, any .45 will do. Or maybe an nice shotgun or AR. I have a tac light and night sights on my home defense .45 pistol, and a tac light/laser on my home defense Sig M4 rifle. Some people will imply that you need to chose one over the other (tac light-vs-night sights-vs-lasers. But in a home defense weapon, there could be a benefit to all of them in certain situations.

I used to think there was one single weapon that could fulfill all of my needs, but I ended up with several pistols and rifles.

If I had to chose a setup to carry into urban combat when Obama sends the New World Order troops, I would probably strap my XD45 pistol to my side, sling my M4 rifle around my chest, fill my backpack with a fuckload of ammo, eat a couple of peanut buttery poptarts, hop on my KTM Enduro, and GTFO!:nuke:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If you mountain bike or dirt bike the mountains and want a comfortable defense weapon to carry under moto gear, I would suggest an XD-S 45 because it is extremely compact, very slim/light, and you can still carry 10 rounds of .45 plus another mag or three in a pocket or pack.
How do you get 10 rounds of 45 in the XDS?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts