JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the wife's new toy, Unlimited X 4 door. Gotta put all her toys back into it, starting with her Xm receiver. Trying to figure out how to tear into the dash on this one. Her last Wrangler and Liberty were easy. This one is getting the best of me. HELP?!?!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
to get into the center stack where the radio is takes popping off 2 panels then 4 screws
the top of the panel - pry up the rear edge by the windshield, theres a snap clip in each of those corners, lift the windshield edge then bring it forward - watch it because your compass unit is screwed to the bottom of that panel, but they give you plenty of wire. That will expose the top 2 screws.
Then at the bottom, the flat panel behind the shifter pops out- pull the top out then lift it up, that gets you to the other 2 screws.
Then the whole center stack fascia will pop loose.
You'll still have a couple of wire bundles and your heat/ac controls hooked up but it pops loose enough to work around.
There are I think 4 snap clips along the sides, cant remember exactly, just pull gently and it will pop off.
Sometimes its easier to remove the AC vents to get a good grip on it - just rotate the vent ring a quarter turn then pull it straight out.

only problem is that when you pop the main center stack loose, the metal spring part of the snap clips likes to stay in the dash - minor PITA.
Good news is that if you do lose them in there it's not the end of the world and it stays in place and doesn't rattle without them just using the 4 screws, but try to get them back if possible!

hope that helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS!

Great! I will get on that tomorrow night. Someone else had a horror story posted about it taking 4 hours to get into theirs, but it didnt sound like they knew what they were doing. Always easier to ask around before you tear into it. That saves breaking something out of frustration. Would like to meet the guy sometime that gets paid to make these so fun to work on. He would get a piece of my mind. :beer: I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW

This is better information than I got from the stealership. The tech gave me some vague information, but what can I expect, job security for them I suppose. Thanks again.
Nice looking machine. Looks like you got yours all decked out. Should have some more junk to hang on ours by the weekend. Need to get it setup to pull the trailer and get some nerf bars on it so the chitlins can climb in and out without ruining the door sills. Any good products you've seen for that?

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
There are quite a few options for rock rails that give you a surface to step on. Red rock fab makes some nice ones with a nice wide step.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts