JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next weekend I'm installing sleeves and gussets. My jeep has 20,000 miles and the stock ball joints are fine. Should I replace them or wait till they need replaced?

I'm sick of being the guy who always begs for air after a hard day of wheeling. I'm debating between Arb mounted under the hood or the smittybilt 5.6 portable. I know the Arb is better Quality but it's twice the price. With smittybilt I can get a lifetime warranty for $25 extra. I don't have lockers and don't plan on it right now. I also only need air a few time a year cause most places we go have a place to air up. So is arb worth the extra money? Will the Smittybilt air up 35s in a Reasonable amount of time?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Smittybilt has a 10lb co2 tank for 299$ that would be perfect. That or i would check out harbor freight for a portable or VIAIR for a portable.

The ball joints are going to fail eventually, if you have them i would just knock em out real quick. I bought the alloy usa ones and they have been great. Have about 3500 mi on them so far and no issues

The harbor freight compressors run around 50$ ish, and we have used them in AZ in 100° weather, worked great for 12 straight tired before it got to hot lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you're going to be working on the C's you may as well do the ball joints. Just install them after you burn the gussets.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Since you will have your axle shafts pulled to sleeve the axle, now would be a good time to replace them. That is half the work. Several posts have said their stock ones wore out at 25k to 35k miles on stock tires. Mine lasted 10k with 37" tires.
I installed Dynatrac Prosteer balls. They lasted about 12k miles before the lowers wore out. Took the Jeep to the Dynatrack factory so they could verify the slop in them. They replaced them no charge, but now 12k later they are worn out again. Cost $100 each for rebuild kits, so for that price I can get new Synergy's or Alloy's. Even if they were to replace them again for free the labor is a pain, so I just ordered the Synergy's which I consider to be a much better design. Hopefully they will last longer.

Mike

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Before I got a Powertank I had the superflow MV90 portable compressor. Thing worked great and never let me down. Low range offroad carry's them for a good price.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I do ball joints I'll go with Synergy for sure...

Now I know nothing about but the smittybilt compressed air system. What kind of places fill them and how much would it cost to fill them? How many tires will it fill up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 10LB Power tank, cost 26ish to fill at any welding supply shop. Some companies require you to get an inspection at another 20ish. I get about 10-18 air-ups from 12psi to 32psi with 315/75/16.

Pro's = fast fill up's and very little maint.
Con's = heavy/bulky and fill up costs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts