JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on adding some armor and am looking for a few skid plate recommendations.

I'm leaning towards the ARB 5450110 skid plate for the steering, transmission, oil pan, transfer case. This was recommended by a few people. Thoughts on this? Any suggested alternatives?

What else is the most important to armor? The gas tank definitely, what part would you recommend? HOw about the exhaust?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Consider the M. O. R. E. Oil pan skid plate. It also covers the trans coolant line, amongst other things and is very sturdy.
As far as what's more important? Huge opinion call right there. I never did my gas tank, and may never do it.. Its banged up some but I was worried about the following :

Oil pan and trans line
Rockers
Evap
Diffs
Swaybar disconnect motor
Stabilizer/Tie rod
LCAs Mounts

Steve in Modesto >:)

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
i speak from 3.8l four door 2011 but strongly second the suggestion @Tierhog made for the M.O.R.E. oilpan tranny skid. I run it and the transfer case skid they offer with Rockhard ramped bolt skids and the setup constantly prevents rock damage to my JKUs underbelly and vitals .
IMO, Stock gas skid is fine till you mush it which takes a good deal . :jeep2:

·
Registered
81 Posts

I really should get skid plates too. With 34's and a 2.5" lift I drag everywhere. I personally would love the artec skid system as it protects mostly everything but the Evap and weighs around 70lbs I believe. All 1/4 aluminum. They aren't cheap so for me it's definitely something I have to save up for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

I really should get skid plates too. With 34's and a 2.5" lift I drag everywhere. I personally would love the artec skid system as it protects mostly everything but the Evap and weighs around 70lbs I believe. All 1/4 aluminum. They aren't cheap so for me it's definitely something I have to save up for.

and a new cross member. Why not just relocate your evap can?

·
Registered
81 Posts
and a new cross member. Why not just relocate your evap can?
I did, its in the trash. LOL Collateral Damage at Table mesa Claimed that one and haven't had one since. The fumes can get annoying along with the check CEL and gascap light so i might get to it after Moab this week. And yes to a new Cross member while i do skids.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like my metal cloak skids. I pivot and do all sorts of crazy things on them, and have not had a failure. It includes a heavier cross member for the full kit.
RockHard also makes some nice skids. They would be a solid second choice, if you want maximum coverage. The steel skids may be heavy, but their weight lowers the center of gravity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why not check out a river raider system? Heard great things, have it on my build list, just saving up for it.

·
Registered
359 Posts

yeah, that's what the bottom of my rig wound up looking like. I replaced the cross member with one from synergy but haven't gotten around to replacing the stock gas skid plate. for the oil and transmission skid plate, I went with the ones from Offroad Evolution (probably not the most popular choice but they had what I was looking for and at a good price). They've held up really well for the past 2-3 years and was stupid easy to install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like my metal cloak skids. I pivot and do all sorts of crazy things on them, and have not had a failure. It includes a heavier cross member for the full kit.

RockHard also makes some nice skids. They would be a solid second choice, if you want maximum coverage. The steel skids may be heavy, but their weight lowers the center of gravity.

I just installed the undercloak system with the zinc coating. If you wait until Father's Day to order they will most likely offer free shipping that weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts