JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a stock ring and pinion for a 07 JK that someone may have lying around. I'm currently unemployed so I don't have much to offer.

If you want the whole story, read on:

I purchased the KJ back in early 2008 used, back when I was a successful Public Relations Manager for a well-known Marketing firm. It’s mostly stock, but it does have a Teraflex 4-inch lift kit, 35-inc tires, Polly Performance Boatsides and a Shrockworks front bumper. I had big plans for my rig that included skid plates, new axles front and rear, lockers, a winch, rear bumper and roll cage- you know, the same sorta things we all talk and plan on doing to a daily driver/weekend wheeler. In October of 2008 I was laid-off due to my clients reducing their marketing budgets, and I have since been trying to find work in my field with little to no success. It seems that businesses aren’t looking to spend money in marketing during these though times, nevertheless in public relations/media relations. Needless to say, the last year and a half has been a rough one, costing me my savings, my apartment and my girlfriend in the process. One of the few things that I’ve allowed myself was the occasional trail run in Big Bear to escape the reality of my current situation.

About 9 months ago, I took my JK into the dealer for a CPU recall. Now I’m thinking I shouldn’t have, mostly because everything was working fine, but I tend to believe that recalls are important. Anyway, they said all my CPU needed was a “flash” which lead to the dealer frying it and having to replace it. What I didn’t know was that it was still malfunctioning- when I put the rig in four wheel drive, the EPS Traction control kicks in, and there is no way to turn if off (I’d tried all the methods listed in the owner’s manual, and I know that those programs are supposed to be disabled when you’re in four wheel drive). Of course, I didn’t find this out until I was 1/3 with way up Gold Mountain trail in Big Bear. So I tried to be careful and just get over the hill so I could get it back to the dealer to fix. That’s when everything went sideways.

I was climbing a small ledge when I got slightly high-centered. Not having lockers, I had a front and rear tire just barely off the rock. We pulled cable off two other jeeps, which didn’t help. In a last ditch effort, we tired to winch out with me giving it slight gas. Now this wasn’t the first time in this kind of situation, so I planed on butting it at about 2400 RMP and working the tires with the winch to help the forward momentum. What was new was the ESP Traction Control fighting me the whole time. Was resulted was me goosing it at the wrong moment while fighting the ESP, just as the tires grabbled, pulling me free with a sickening crunching sound. The stock ring and pinion was no more.

I limped home and decided I’d try to get the dealership to pay for some of the cost of the repair, and fix the CPU so this problem wouldn’t happen again. What a joke THAT turned out to be. They claimed that the ESP was engaging due to the broken front ring and pinion, and that they didn’t hold any responsibility for the damage. Further, they would no even touch my JK until the front ring and pinion was replaced (1500 bucks I didn’t/don’t have). So that’s where I’m at. I purchased a used ring and pinion from a “stock JK” off eBay, but found out that they weren’t from a JK after all. My buddy will help me swap out the bearing and torque the crush sleeve, but the idea of spending 150-180 bucks on a stock ring and pinion for a crappy axle just makes no sense to me. So I thought I’d reach out to the JK community and see if anyone has a set lying around they’d be willing to part with.

I’m located in Orange County, CA and I’d greatly appreciate any reply or help that could be offered.

Thanks for taking the time to read the huge wall of text, and best,

Darek.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've had a few offers in the Mod JK forum, but not sure what my ratio is.

Here's what's stamped on the old ring gear:
01 23 07 DANA D 55641 P8L951 41 10

would that make it a 4.10 gear?

UPDATE- yep- they are 4.10 gears. If you have a set for a Dana 30, I'd be happy to drive down and get them- or meet you soomewhere!

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
i'll have a full set of 4.10's for sale with install kits (what's left of them) for 200 bucks here pretty soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts