JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I will have a nice garage/basement to keep my tools in, I want to get myself a decent tool chest. However the only brand I really know is Craftsman, and stopping by the local Sears yesterday I wasn't impressive. Damn things felt like tin foil, and they wanted 1000$ for em!

What tool chests do you guys recommend, especially for someone on a budget (around or under 500 would be great!) Just the usual suspects, wrenches, sockets, screw drivers. I don't need 50 shelves, but 10 or so would be ideal

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
I have several different boxes. Craftsman, Kennedy CSPS, etc...

I managed to get my two CSPS boxes on the cheap. They were from Costco originally. One I traded out with a buddy for a little work and the other I got off Craigslist for $400.00. The same box at Sears is over 1k, total bullshit.

I'm super happy with them. If I had to go out and buy another box I would probably buy the big harbor freight box. I have a couple friends that have them and they work just fine and they are in your budget if you can't find a used one on CL....good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Don't buy a Kobalt.

I'd go buy harbor freight boxes, they are great knock-offs from SnapOn and pretty highly regarded on Garagejournal for quality. I've broken two drawers on my Kobalt, they're severely undersized. I may fix this last one and sell the box.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
When I turned wrenches for living a million year ago in the heavy equipment industry, I had a monster MAC box. When I left that world I sold the MAC box and bought a Craftsman upper and lower. I've been out of room in those boxes since just about buying them. I'm planning on going the Harbor Freight route myself.

Bottom

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a Snap On Classic 78 only because I got it for a great price. Way too much quality for a guy that does not make a living as a mechanic. But I like buying nice shit......once. With that being said that Harbor Freight everyone has mentioned is quite a nice box. I would not have a problem owning one. Often in JP magazine there are coupons somewhere n the magazine. There are also some great deals on Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Another one for the hf box.
I have a shop and they take a beating, but they work just fine even with all of the abuse we dish out. I can't justify the cost of the big names, and I spend a lot of money on my tools.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
So I went to HF and decided to spring for a big boy

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-roller-cabinet-68784.html

getting it into the jeep was pretty tricky, but I managed! Would have been a fuck ton easier without the spare back there, thats for sure. now I have to lug it around for a week because i dont move into my new place till next weekend!
God I hate people like you Sneck lol. I had to load one of those fuckers in a Ford Escape yesterday. Bring a truck and let me use my forklift! But bullshit aside great choice sir. You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God I hate people like you Sneck lol. I had to load one of those fuckers in a Ford Escape yesterday. Bring a truck and let me use my forklift! But bullshit aside great choice sir. You won't be disappointed!

haha i did feel awful. it took myself and 3 staff to get it in there, and probably a good 30 minutes because we had to keep trying different ways to get in in. finally laid the spare down flat and slid the thing on top of the spare, it fits nicely between the wheel wells. next time, im bringing a real pickup.

while im asking for advise, anyone have thoughts on power washers? now that ill have access to a hose a want one, for cleaning the house, jeep, car, fence, ect ect. the hf one is on sale for 70, but im not sure if its junk or not

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
haha i did feel awful. it took myself and 3 staff to get it in there, and probably a good 30 minutes because we had to keep trying different ways to get in in. finally laid the spare down flat and slid the thing on top of the spare, it fits nicely between the wheel wells. next time, im bringing a real pickup.

while im asking for advise, anyone have thoughts on power washers? now that ill have access to a hose a want one, for cleaning the house, jeep, car, fence, ect ect. the hf one is on sale for 70, but im not sure if its junk or not
Just do the HF one get the replacement plan and you'll never have to worry about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Yeah, I took the time to remove the casters right there on the sidewalk, then a couple of their guys and I lifted & shoved in. It just cleared the roll bar. It was a lot easier getting it out though.

c

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have 2 of these in my garage. Really nice maple top and all the drawers are ball bearing. Defiantly worth every penny.
So that's where my former boss got that piece of shit? I'm sure it'd be great for a home garage, but in an industrial setting full of people who don't understand what load capacities are, co-workers managed to destroy the drawer guides on that thing in a month. And assembly was super annoying. I did like that top, though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.