JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I took a pic of a thread detailing the differences between the jeep 3.6, 3.8 and the dyno number were way off than the advertised hp of the two. I would have sworn motech had done them but after an hour of looking for the thread and finding nothing. Anybody remember this? I want to say the 3.8 was around 135 and the 3.6 was not much better.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't remember the thread but I did see a dyno sheet of the 3.6 being at 185 hp ish as advertised.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
I know I took a pic of a thread detailing the differences between the jeep 3.6, 3.8 and the dyno number were way off than the advertised hp of the two. I would have sworn motech had done them but after an hour of looking for the thread and finding nothing. Anybody remember this? I want to say the 3.8 was around 135 and the 3.6 was not much better.
You talking about crank horsepower or wheel horsepower vs. "advertised HP"? :dunno:

Here's a necro-crosspost of @ALASHA stating ~50% loss at the wheels about a decade ago (see bold red portion):

356 rwhp out of a 345 hp 5.7? :shaking:

I can tell you that the stock Rubicon drivetrain on stock Rubi tires losses right about 50% as measured at the wheels, so the 3.8L v6 makes 205 at the crank, I had 106 measured at the wheels.

THEORETICALLY, apply the same loss to a 345 5.7 and you SHOULD see ~172 at the wheels.
Here's a graph from a thread in 2012 (linked):

I thought there was a thread recently with big-engine dyno numbers, but can't find it :(
Maybe it was a meltdown thread and the OP was a HGPD-ing, no-class-havin' mu'fugger :laughing:

EDIT: Apparently Ripp claims/sees (or did 5 years ago) 33% drivetrain loss, based on this post:

Cool man!

445hp = estimated crank HP?

295 at the wheels (assuming RIPPs oft quoted 33% drivetrain loss)?
OK, I'm done googling shit :laughing: - here's my secret: MAGIC FINDY-LINK

·
Registered
749 Posts
Real world averages are 30-35% drivetrain loss on a JKU ......

Have seen as much as 45% on some personally . bot those were new tons with big heavy tires and wheels .
After some berakin' i would expect to see better numbers , but not much .
The averages are less with light shit , more with heavy shit .

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know the original @ALASHA dyno was done here in Colorado Springs at approx. 5800ft. I know our air sucks here. I don't know if that is corrected for DA.

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
I know the original @ALASHA dyno was done here in Colorado Springs at approx. 5800ft. I know our air sucks here. I don't know if that is corrected for DA.
Good call, dude! :beer:

If true, that reconciles the "30-35%" folks with ALASHA's ~50% results.

Also, per my (NIST-traceable, meticulously calibrated) butt dyno: going from ~sea-level to 6-7,000 ft., the 6 squirrels under the hood seem ~20-30% less enthusiastic :laughing:

·
Registered
339 Posts

For comparison sake here is my hellcat wrangler on pump gas with a cam, upper and lower pullies and 1000 cc injectors. Dyno was a dynojet with 35” tires due to roller width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Went back to my original thread to double check. Those numbers were with a full atmospheric correction. Pulled on a Dyno Dynamics load bearing dyno which tend to read lower than others.

Also phuck photobucket.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Um, you're going to have to share a bit more about the build..........like everything.:thefinger:

It’s a 2013 10th anniversary with full custom suspension, oris, dynatrac 40 spline 60/80 combo with big bell rcvs. Custom cage, prp seats, built southern hotrod nag1 tranny, atlas tcase. Running right at 1000 Hp at the crank.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very clean. How are it's street manners?

Surprisingly not bad. We used a mmx smooth boost controller so we can basically turn the power down if needed. When all the way down it feels about like a stock Jeep. The suspension is extremely stable and almost no body roll but with the way I have the ori struts adjusted for Offroad I do get a ton of front end lift due to the rear suspension geometry. If you have Instagram I post there for the most part.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PtvRDnJYE/?igshid=11tl3qz2akdga

1 - 16 of 16 Posts