JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I hit the pothole from hell and now I apparently need a new engine! 200000 on current engine hit a pothole and the engine just died and wouldn't restart took it to shop replaced computer and would then restart but threw a bunch of cam crank synchronization codes. Techs replaced cam phasers,cam and crank position sensor and every other part they could think of still in limp mode now recommending a new engine for the low low price of 10000! Anyone near Illinois have a low miles engine for a 2012 jku?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
If you go with stock replacement, I'd recommend an aftermarket remanufactured engine, say, from Jasper or something. Chrysler engine manufacturing has a spotty reputation.

Second recommendation would be to source a take-out engine from one of the swap shops like Rubitrux or RPM Extreme.

Some hand tools and a Harbor Freight engine hoist, maybe a weekend, and you'd save thousands.

But for $10,000, you could probably do a diy hemi...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You need a new shop. The pothole is not likely to have damaged the block or rotating assembly of the engine. It's much more likely an electrical issue. Checking or swapping out the engine harness will likely reveal the issue.

Imagine swapping in a new engine only to find the same issues because it was electrical after all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive been thinking electrical the whole time. Went to a local shop with a good rep and they found me a used 3.6 with 50000 miles and 5yr 100000 warranty for 4800 Installed and they are going to do whatever they can to avoid replacing the engine first but the rings are probably shot it goes through a quart of oil every fill up and valve ticking and dry starts all the time so its probably time anyway still paying on The loan and it's my mail jeep so gotta keep it going. 10000 quote was from stealership of course. Sure as hell wasnt going to pay that! Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts