JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a project, and I need a plug and outlet combo of some sort.

The requirements are that the outlet be relatively small and have a cover to keep water out. It also needs to flush mount.

I looked into using a cigarette lighter plug, but every one I find is rated to 16 amps. The item I am powering is rated to draw 19amps, so I need something that is capable of at least 20.

Suggestions?

JR

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks exactly like some others I saw, and all were rated for 16 amps, which won't fly. I need it to be rated at least 20amp.

Also, that doesn't flush mount. I'm now looking at this from Marinco, in a 2 prong version

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The '09 Liberty's come with one behind the center console. Maybe you could get it from MOPAR. I'm not sure of the rating though.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
trolling motor connectors

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Most electrical items are rated by wire gauge above anything alse. If you find the right receptical you probably could just rewire it. I would think that the housing itself could take quite a bit of current.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I installed some on my brothers work truck. House of Wreckers provided the electrical connections, as they are used in commercial tow truck applications.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Other Types of plugs

Working on a project, and I need a plug and outlet combo of some sort.

The requirements are that the outlet be relatively small and have a cover to keep water out. It also needs to flush mount.

I looked into using a cigarette lighter plug, but every one I find is rated to 16 amps. The item I am powering is rated to draw 19amps, so I need something that is capable of at least 20.

Suggestions?

JR
Maybe you should be looking at other options than cigarette lighter plug outlets if you need that much amperage....... :shaking:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Most electrical items are rated by wire gauge above anything alse. If you find the right receptical you probably could just rewire it. I would think that the housing itself could take quite a bit of current.
Well for the most part, the cig lighter style outlets were all subpar inside the housing and the issue was them melting. That's why I was probing here for suggestions on alternatives.

I installed some on my brothers work truck. House of Wreckers provided the electrical connections, as they are used in commercial tow truck applications.
Do they have a website? I'll look into it a little more.

Everything I see on that site has a 15amp rating... :(

trolling motor connectors
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, and that Connectpro thing above is actually what that is intended for...so that might be the solution.

Maybe you should be looking at other options than cigarette lighter plug outlets if you need that much amperage....... :shaking:
Uhh, that was kind of the point of this thread. Hence the connectpro pic and the ideas others are sharing... :shaking:

·
Registered
163 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts