JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm gonna pull the trigger on some KC Apollo lights and I'm gonna windshield mount them.
Of the three varieties...long range, fog and driving...what's the best choice for the windshield location and what would I get the most "practical" use from.
My rig is mostly a daily driver with some occasional light wheeling.
I was thinking driving...but I figured I'd ask the experts. :beer:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
depends where you plan to night wheel.

In the desert I prefer long range... in the forest I prefer driving lights.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
depends where you plan to night wheel.

In the desert I prefer long range... in the forest I prefer driving lights.
Thanks...well considering I'm in Fl with limited access to deserts (LOL!!!), I would guess driving would be my best option.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Thanks...well considering I'm in Fl with limited access to deserts (LOL!!!), I would guess driving would be my best option.
You'll get the most use out of some driving lamps. You'll get some distance that will cover a wide section ahead (wide compared to what spots would).

Fogs wouldn't go much farther than 20-30 feet. Spots will reach out there, but will leave some dark spots.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll get the most use out of some driving lamps. You'll get some distance that will cover a wide section ahead (wide compared to what spots would).

Fogs wouldn't go much farther than 20-30 feet. Spots will reach out there, but will leave some dark spots.
Thanks Rip...it sounds like driving is the best option then. I appreciate your input. :beer:

·
Registered
126 Posts
So I'm gonna pull the trigger on some KC Apollo lights and I'm gonna windshield mount them.
Of the three varieties...long range, fog and driving...what's the best choice for the windshield location and what would I get the most "practical" use from.
My rig is mostly a daily driver with some occasional light wheeling.
I was thinking driving...but I figured I'd ask the experts. :beer:
Windshield mount and above = Long Range
Bumper to windshield = Driving
Bumper and below = fogs

Check the research for yourself. These lamps work the best in these positions.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
While I wouldn't hesitate to put a long range light on the bumper, I would not put a fog on the roof/WS. But consider this. Regardless of the light, the lower it is, the less it seems to reflect in adverse weather.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rip...that makes total sense. I went with the driving lights...figured if I wanna go long range later I can move the driving to the bumper and put long range on the windshield.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Thanks Rip...that makes total sense. I went with the driving lights...figured if I wanna go long range later I can move the driving to the bumper and put long range on the windshield.
Sounds good. Get us some pics when they're mounted!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Windshield mount and above = Long Range
Bumper to windshield = Driving
Bumper and below = fogs

Check the research for yourself. These lamps work the best in these positions.
x2 you need to broadcast the higher you are so you aren't blowing off all of your light into the hood and what not.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Late Santa aka UPS aka BROWN...just delivered some goodies!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question...for anyone that's installed the KC or any other windshield type mount for lights: Do you put anything between the bracket and your frame, like foam or some sort of gasket...or does it just mount metal to metal?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Question...for anyone that's installed the KC or any other windshield type mount for lights: Do you put anything between the bracket and your frame, like foam or some sort of gasket...or does it just mount metal to metal?
Most people try to use something. I used a piece of inner tube rubber.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installed...I'll get 'em wired up this weekend!!!
(I ended up cutting "gaskets" out of an old neoprene mouse pad work from work...LOL!
Worked like a champ.))

·
Registered
126 Posts
Installed...I'll get 'em wired up this weekend!!!
(I ended up cutting "gaskets" out of an old neoprene mouse pad work from work...LOL!
Worked like a champ.))

Looking Good:beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts