JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the differences between the two besides the price. I am wanting to run 35's on 2015 jku. Not really after the budget boost.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Long story short(pun intended) - long arms = smoother ride on road but sacrifice a little ground clearance off-road... Articulate smoother than short arms though.
Short arms = better ground clearance off-road but don't ride as sooth on-road...

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Can someone explain the differences between the two besides the price. I am wanting to run 35's on 2015 jku. Not really after the budget boost.
A long arm suspension system will require you to remove all of the factory suspension brackets at the frame and weld new ones on. Any short arm system will be bolt in and will use existing mounting points on the frame for your control arms.

A long arm suspension system will change the overall geometry of your suspension and allow for more articulation and in some cases wheel travel.

You DO NOT need a long arm to run 35s. I would actually recommend against it. Buy a short arm kit and enjoy it. It will take you 99% of the places that you'll want to go in that brand new Jeep. :)

Marcus

·
Registered
319 Posts
Only other advice is to buy off of this guy! ^ :bounce:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A long arm suspension system will require you to remove all of the factory suspension brackets at the frame and weld new ones on. Any short arm system will be bolt in and will use existing mounting points on the frame for your control arms.

A long arm suspension system will change the overall geometry of your suspension and allow for more articulation and in some cases wheel travel.

You DO NOT need a long arm to run 35s. I would actually recommend against it. Buy a short arm kit and enjoy it. It will take you 99% of the places that you'll want to go in that brand new Jeep. :)

Marcus
brand new aint even close, delivery date is advised to be February 14, Happy valentines day to me:):):)

with that being said, I researching and planning.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Rule(s) of thumb:

Less than 12" of vertical travel = Short arm
12" or more vertical travel = Long arm

4-4.5" of lift or less = Short arm
More than 4.5" of lift = Long arm

Those would be the two most basic traits to compare the two against, IMO. There are other benefits to long arms, depending on manufacturer (or builder) such as tailored/adjusted suspension geomentry. But at it's simplest form the above to points would be how I would suggest you decide.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't think I lost any ground clearance going to long arms. :cwm13:
Just a little... You have more arm hanging down now so you have more stuff to snag on rocks etc...

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Just a little... You have more arm hanging down now so you have more stuff to snag on rocks etc...
Some run the frame mounts outside the frame (EVO for example)
Clayton's front arms tuck up and bolt to the crossover.
Depends on the kit mostly. Not all drop the arms below the frame.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good to know... Sorry OP for the mis-info...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now you opened a can of worms!!

I am looking at rock krawler and teraflex. But am leaning more to the teraflex. With the above mentioned descriptions is there a kit that is better or is the ford/chevy syndrome (preference).

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Haha, I'll let the more knowledgable suspension people answer that.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
now you opened a can of worms!!

I am looking at rock krawler and teraflex. But am leaning more to the teraflex. With the above mentioned descriptions is there a kit that is better or is the ford/chevy syndrome (preference).
Both companies are great but if you are still talking about long arms, then it is Rock Krawler hands down.

Teraflex stuck with a traditional four link similar to stock geometry. Problem is that upper rear arms are only ~1" longer than stock which causes binding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Both companies are great but if you are still talking about long arms, then it is Rock Krawler hands down.

Teraflex stuck with a traditional four link similar to stock geometry. Problem is that upper rear arms are only ~1" longer than stock which causes binding.
think the short arm is the best option for me.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'd agree that short arm would be the way to go for you. Espceically if you are only planning on running 35's.

That being said, when I made the jump to long arms I noticed a significant difference across the board.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd agree that short arm would be the way to go for you. Espceically if you are only planning on running 35's.

That being said, when I made the jump to long arms I noticed a significant difference why did you make the jump?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
why did you make the jump?
Funny story about that one. I got hit head on last winter by a guy in a pickup truck. The front portion of the frame / control arm mounts took so much damage it was either longarm the jeep so they didnt have to swap frames or total the jeep. Obviously I chose option A.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
why did you make the jump?
Funny story about that one. I got hit head on last winter by a guy in a pickup truck. The front portion of the frame / control arm mounts took so much damage it was either longarm the jeep so they didnt have to swap frames or total the jeep. Obviously I chose option A.
That sucks.

Will be researching a lot more about brands of lifts. They all look somewhat the same but then they dont. Kinda confusing, but i know i want to stay away from any issues with driving/suspension problems (dw).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts