JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my LoD rear bumper and tire carrier today. I installed it in about 2 hours despite the fact there was no instructions and I had to go to the local hardware store to get some longer bolts for the mounting to the frame.

I took a ton of pictures for anyone else that plans on installing one of these. I'll post text if anyone has questions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice bumper Michael. How does the latch compare to something like the Jeeperman system? I am trying to convince myself into one, but you just can't beat the best bang for the buck LOD bumpers. They look pretty solid if you ask me and with a lifetime warranty you can't go wrong :cool: . Can't wait to see those guys in person.

-Living Still

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The latch seems pretty solid. A wash board road will be the true test.

The quality is ok and it is a good bumper for the money.

I will probably make a few modifications before you see it in person as I want to clearance the bumper from the body a bit more than they have it. I mean the lines look good and it fills the voids nicely but for off road use I'd much rather have a bit more flex room as the body and the frame never flex and bend, twist and contort at the same rate. A bumper is to help protect the body and if the bumper flexes into the body then the bumper hasn't helped. ;)

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Field Modifications - Clearancing

Well I couldn't leave the bumper alone.

I know from direct experience that having frame parts next to body parts is a bad thing for twisting and flexing for off road use. Particularly since the frame and the body flex and twist differently. So I clearanced the bumper some from the body. This way when the frame and body twist at different rates the bumper which is supposed to help protect the body doesn't cause damage to the body.

Now this won't be for everyone or maybe anyone but this works for me. If you just want to look good and won't off road then this is probably not necessary and the tight tolerances of the LoD bumper will work fine for you.

So here it is. Every picture tells a story and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I used skill saw with a metal cut off blade a 5" cut off wheel on an angle grinder, a 5" grinding wheel and a 5" flap disk sander all on the angle grinder. I finished it off with a cleaning and a heavy coat of Rustoleum then some cheap flat black paint.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

I also took the opportunity to install the HiLift jack. First I used holes in the A-frame of the tire carrier but quickly realized the holes didn't exactly match up for the HiLift. I guess these holes are for the racks that you can get for this bumper. I drilled new holes and installed to 3" long by 1/2" carriage bolts. I locked it down then use a wing nut to lock down the HiLift.

All done. Well for now. ;)

If you have questions or comments feel free to post up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I see that your license plate is blocked a little bit by the hitch. Do you think you will get in trouble for that and where do you think you should relocate it? Maybe fab a bracket on the A frame that goes through the spokes of the rim so you can attach it there...

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be nice if the license plate wasn't blocked.

I figure I will move it, *if* it becomes a problem or "someone" brings it to my attention.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have never heard of the frame twist vs. body twist problem mentioned before with jeeps, but it makes perfect sense to me. I guess you can never be too careful. You really can't even tell that anything has been done to it without looking at the close up pics!

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't take measurements, sorry. But I don't think there was a huge noticeable drop. The bumper is pretty light it's the tire that weighs in so much. Of course the factory bumper weighs in at 5 pounds (exaggeration) and the steel bumper is several times that at 70 lbs if memory serves. I did add the lift not too long after the tire carrier and I don't recall Jim at Nth saying anything about accommodating excessive weight more than what was estimated after adding all the steel around the JK. My sliders are twice the weight of this bumper. I would guess (hope) that anyone providing an after market suspension lift would include some cushion for extra steel in their spring calculations so it shouldn't change ride height significantly. I can't speak for the factory springs other than to say, on my Rubicon, I don't think any drop was significant.

I know, not specific, but I hope it helps. :smokin:

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More modifications to my LoD bumper for towing.

I had to modify this bumper one more time. This time it was so I could actually use it for towing.

The LoD bumper did not come with anyplace to attach the towing wiring harness. It would have been nice had LoD at least allowed the utilization of the factory 4-wire JK harness that many may have opted for as a factory option. However I went with a slightly more robust trailer harness with the industry standard 7-wire plug.

The plug I purchased plugs in the factory harness plus has the extra wires for electric brakes, battery charger/power supply from a dual battery system and an aux power wire that is often used for back up lamps on the trailer.

I found these pdf files of industry standard trailer wiring diagrams. I did not create these documents and these are presented in their original form.

4 pole wiring dia.pdf
Electric brake control wiring.pdf
Trailer Wiring Diagrams.pdf

I also added some quick link hooks so I can attach my trailer safety chains and the electric break-a-way controller wire.

Well here are some pictures of my modifications. - note I am not a welder. I have never been taught how to weld. I bought a welder and enjoy burning stuff with it. :p I need to add that I used my torch on this bumper to make the hole for the 7-way plug. I'm not a torch guy either, apparently. :laughing:

Here is a picture of my license plate relocation along with re-using the factory license plate light.

My CB antenna mount after I lost my CoolTech mount to a large tree on the Slick Rock trail which also took out my factory license plate mount. The CoolTech mount was the only thing holding my license plate on for quite a while until I actually relocated everything.

Also note how much better my steel corners from AEV-Conversions would have looked had they NOT had the license plate holes in it. Hello AEV.... Did you get this. ;)

What the bumper looks like today.

And here is my most recent modification.

Note that this plug I bought at Napa utilizes the factory 4-wire harness that came with my JK and the towing package.

I have mentioned I like the "trunk" in my bumper.

Well that's my bumper/trailer update for today.

Now to go wire up my electric brake controller and my HellRoaring Technologies multiple battery system. Well ok the brake controller first. I still haven't decided on where I am putting the extra battery(s) yet.

I have a huge project in mind that has been postponed because I can't convince the guys at Gen-Right to make a big safari tank for the JK. They said something about DC asking them to not build a gas tank relocation kit with safari tank to remove the factory tank and install a nice larger capacity beefier protected gas tank back to the original TJ location. This way I could move my air storage tank to where the gas tank was and mount my batteries there too. So everyone call and email Gen-Right and tell them we want a bigger and more protected gas tank to be put back into the center of the vehicle and in between the rear frame rails! :grinpimp:

But since the gas tank isn't going to be moved in the near future maybe I should build an air tank to go where the JK "trunk" is after removing the trunk and put some batteries either under the rear seat or in the back area so they are still somewhat accessible for the Ready Welder.

Oh well decisions, decisions. Now I have more to think about while installing my electric brake controller.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts