JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the quality and fit/finish like on these?
I'm lookin for a rear bumper thanks to a little reshaping of my stocker at Katemcy.
the price is pretty compelling and the little toolbox is a groovy bonus as long as it's not a total POS.
their signature series shorty rear looks even nicer, but they're pretty much priced up there with everyone else

·
Registered
279 Posts
What's the quality and fit/finish like on these?
I'm lookin for a rear bumper thanks to a little reshaping of my stocker at Katemcy.
the price is pretty compelling and the little toolbox is a groovy bonus as long as it's not a total POS.
their signature series shorty rear looks even nicer, but they're pretty much priced up there with everyone else
I have one, and if I were you I would look elsewhere. Fit and finish are not that great. I ended up having to trim the inside corners where they meet the body because they were rubbing, it does rattle, and the tire carrier is a poor design. It does not have anything holding it on except the latching mechanism. Basically once you unlatch it from the bumper you can take the carrier off.

I'm sure they're are a few more people on this forum that is not happy with theirs either...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply
sounds like a case of ya get what ya pay for
sounds like I'm back to looking at smittybilt (IF they ever actually make their products) or maybe rock hard

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've got a RockHard coming. I haven't seen a JK one in person (just photos) but I know several guys with the RH bumper/carrier for TJ's and they love them. All RH stuff seems to be overbuilt and you can add gas and water can cariers and a basket above the tire.

As to Smittybuilt I had some Smitty built on a TJ, but I get the impression they've gone "price point" sensitve these days and I wonder about their quality. Did somebody buy them out?

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah transamerican wholesale, 4wd hardware, smittybilt, and a couple others are all one company now. (Crap) The rockhard is a great choice. I love how it tucks in on the sides. If you like the TJ one you will love the jk one. Just sticks out a little far but perfect for hi lift jacking. Enjoy :beer:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
the toolbox in mine is good for storing water. i just went and washed my jeep the other day and had an assload of rust come running out of the tire carrier of my LoD bumper.

i can't wait for shrockworks to come out with their mid-width tire carrier bumper.

i don't know about the new design LoD has, but after my past experience with them and their lack of customer service, and all the grinding i had to do on my LoD bumper, i'll never recommend them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i can't wait for shrockworks to come out with their mid-width tire carrier bumper.
Sorry for the hijack, but I didn't think shrockworks was working on a mid-width tire carrior bumper. Have you heard that or are you just hoping?

Back on topic, I've heard about 50/50 good/bad about the LOD rear bumpers on the forums - that's not so good.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but I didn't think shrockworks was working on a mid-width tire carrior bumper. Have you heard that or are you just hoping?

they have two widths of rear bumper/tire carrier - a full width and a more narrow one. i just called the more narrow one "mid-width."

·
Registered
420 Posts
they have two widths of rear bumper/tire carrier - a full width and a more narrow one. i just called the more narrow one "mid-width."
OK - I've seen that one - I thought it was out already?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
OK - I've seen that one - I thought it was out already?
the bumper is, yes, but not the tire carrier part. and from what i understand, getting the bumper now and adding the tire carrier later isn't an option, so i'll just wait until the tire carrier is ready. i'm not in a real big hurry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts