JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide which bumper to get but I know I want one with a recessed winch and stock fog lights. So anyways it looks like my only choices are the Lod mid length or the Shrockworks mid length. I like both bumpers but the Lod one is almost half the price of the Shrockworks and money is always an issue.

I am looking for honest, unbiased comments on the Lod bumpers; I have the Shrockworks rails so I am not worried about the quality of their product.

Also if there is any other bumper out there that meet my needs that I might have missed let me know.

Lod - http://www.lodoffroad.com/jeep_jk/2007-wrangler-jk-accessory.htm

Shrockworks - http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-JK-Front-Bumper-Winch-Mid-Width-pr-16215.html

·
Registered
749 Posts
I am trying to decide which bumper to get but I know I want one with a recessed winch and stock fog lights. So anyways it looks like my only choices are the Lod mid length or the Shrockworks mid length. I like both bumpers but the Lod one is almost half the price of the Shrockworks and money is always an issue.

I am looking for honest, unbiased comments on the Lod bumpers; I have the Shrockworks rails so I am not worried about the quality of their product.

Also if there is any other bumper out there that meet my needs that I might have missed let me know.

Lod - http://www.lodoffroad.com/jeep_jk/2007-wrangler-jk-accessory.htm

Shrockworks - http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-JK-Front-Bumper-Winch-Mid-Width-pr-16215.html
If Skidrow wasn't working on a front Bumper I would go with the Shrockworks with factory Fogs.....I do like both but I like the Shrockworks just a dab better. Looks great with a straight on front view. If either one was left at my doorstep this morning, I would install it.:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I vote for the Shrockworks bumper! I do like the midwidth versus the stubbys, and the LoD is a nice looking bumper if you prefer a minimilist appearence, but I prefer the more rugged look of the Shrockworks.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Doug, I was originally in your same boat trying to save the stock factory fog lamps. I have to say that I so far do not miss them. Adding after market head lamps and some nice wide driving lights made a huge difference in my night visibility. I still have my factory fog lamps sitting in a box but I will more than likely put them up for sale.

I guess what I'm saying is there is an alternative and better solution to the factory fog lamps and I certainly wouldn't force the factory fog lamps to sway or limit my front bumper choices because of them. ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Doug, I was originally in your same boat trying to save the stock factory fog lamps. I have to say that I so far do not miss them. Adding after market head lamps and some nice wide driving lights made a huge difference in my night visibility. I still have my factory fog lamps sitting in a box but I will more than likely put them up for sale.

I guess what I'm saying is there is an alternative and better solution to the factory fog lamps and I certainly wouldn't force the factory fog lamps to sway or limit my front bumper choices because of them. ;)
Agree, there are many choices for better upgrades when it comes to lamps..

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
i like the shrockworks. i thought i was getting stock fogs with my 08 23s package... but apparently they arent part of the package anymore. so now im on the hunt for another bumper.

but shrockworks middy was what i had my mind set on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i like the shrockworks. i thought i was getting stock fogs with my 08 23s package... but apparently they arent part of the package anymore. so now im on the hunt for another bumper.

but shrockworks middy was what i had my mind set on.
You can mount either stock lights or aftermarket 4" lights (i.e. PIAA 510's ...driving or fog) in the holes of the Mid Width....there are mounting set ups for both.

Nick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Those two were my first choices also until I found a 3rd choice. Have you seen the M.O.R.E.http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm
The winch doesn't sit as low as the other 2, but it still keeps the factory fogs and adds a winch hoop. And if you priced out the Shockworks with the hoop it's close in price. Plus I'm not a big fan on the Shockworks fairlead being off-center. Here's a pic of the M.O.R.E.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a nice looking bumper as well, but incase you did not notice the fairlead is off centered in the picture you posted. The one thing that none of the bumper companies really mention is that the Warn Powerplant winch is so big that you need to have the fairlead off set or else it will not line up with the cable drum. It would be nice if they have an option for different winches that way you could have it centered or offset depending on which one you want and not try to build one that fits all.

Plus I'm not a big fan on the Shockworks fairlead being off-center. Here's a pic of the M.O.R.E.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is a nice looking bumper as well, but incase you did not notice the fairlead is off centered in the picture you posted. The one thing that none of the bumper companies really mention is that the Warn Powerplant winch is so big that you need to have the fairlead off set or else it will not line up with the cable drum. It would be nice if they have an option for different winches that way you could have it centered or offset depending on which one you want and not try to build one that fits all.
Wow, now that you mention it... I never noticed it. I just thought it was the angle of the pic. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with an offset fairlead. That damn Warn Powerplant screws up everything for the rest of us with a regular old Warn 9.0RC.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
*Almost*All winches are the same in the fact that the motor is longer than the gear side. Weather it is a Warn 6000-9500lb, Ramsey 6000-9500lb winch they are all between 7.55-7.95 from mounting hole to end of motor (even the 9.0RC). The mounting to edge of first interference is about 8.5" , that is if you are far enough back to miss the front frame horns (those give even less room).*IF* you want a winch sunk low and inside the frame rails and not have to cut your grill out around it, it is going to be off centered, unless you want to hack things out of the way. Butted up against the frame a 9500lb winch will still be over 3/8" off center, that is touching Frame and close to the grill. We tried to accommodate as many winches as possible, and gave room for installation by going about an inch over that.

Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts