JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right before I left my sales guy who I'll say is a pretty good guy, gives me a set a locking lugs. He said they usually run about 40 bucks and something about they where left in a vehicle or something so he grabbed them. Anyway he was telling that for a while people where getting their spare tires stolen off the back of their jeeps because they are not really locked down and was telling me I might want to use one on the spare even if I don't use any of the others (set of 4 of course). Is this really a big issue? I live in a very small town but I work in a larger one. If I keep the wheel on is this something I should seriously do? I guess it can't hurt right.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I did it when I modified the tires as I can't see buying a new one for my own mistake. I bought 8 for a total of 20 bucks but it requires having 2 keys with me because they sell 4 at a time.

G

·
0 Posts
I've never used them myself. I always imagined that somehow I'd either forget or misplace the key and then be stuck. So far I haven't had any problems with theft.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Most companies that sell locking lugs sell sets of 5 for Jeeps (with one key). I got a pair of Gorilla locks because it just seems way too easy for someone to quickly and easily steal the spare without one. I think I paid $30 for a set of 5 - money well spent IMHO for the piece of mind if nothing else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I put the aftermarket tires and wheels on my JK I replaced all the lug nuts with locks. I have one key that fits all of them. I bought Gorilla locks from Summit Racing. You can buy sets with as many as 24 lugs with a common lock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input...I guess I've never been to worried about the installed wheels being ganked in the areas I am in but the salesman got me thinking about the spare...I guess I haven't looked close enough to see how its mounted but it its just held down with lugs than I can definitely see how easy it would be for someone to decide they needed it more than I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another issue for those who have after market wheels with less backspace that the factory wheels is the tire mount itself. It looks like someone could reach behind my tire and take the bolts out of the mount where it attaches to the tailgate and get the tire, wheel, and mount too.

By the way I noticed something I though was funny in the owners manual in reference to the spare tire. The manual says the tailgate cannot hold more than 50 lbs total weight. I weighed the tire / wheel combination that came on my jeep and one of the new tire / wheel combinations. The original set weighed 70 lbs. Well over what the tailgate is rated for. The new set weighs in at 80 lbs. I wonder if I am going to have trouble with it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is funny...the stock rim weighing more than the bracket is rated for...is that the 17" ? I am still considering just taking my spare off for normal driving and putting it on for offroad. However that is just asking for a flat on the highway :thefinger:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
By the way I noticed something I though was funny in the owners manual in reference to the spare tire. The manual says the tailgate cannot hold more than 50 lbs total weight.
I'd imagine the 50 lbs is over and above the spare tire.

I have a set of 5 Gorilla locking lug nuts also. For what they cost it is cheap insurance. But you can buy the special sockets to remove locking lug nuts pretty cheap, and I imagine anyone that is serious about stealing wheels possesses them, and most probably a cordless impact wrench too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it actually says: NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 50 lbs. (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire. That is on page 367 of the manual.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it actually says: NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 50 lbs. (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire. That is on page 367 of the manual.
Hmmmm, I will need to re-weigh my stock Rubi tire/wheels. My notes say they weighed 73lbs each.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't say for any other models/editions, but before the JK i had a TJ with the Columbia pkg., and it came from the factory with wheel locks (McGard was the brand, if i recall). I worked in a tough neighborhood at the time, and I replaced a few side windows/console latches, but never had a wheel come up missing. For what they cost, good peace of mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Locking lugs are easy to defeat. Like most other locking mechanisms, they are excellent in keeping the honest man honest.

That being said, I run locks on mine. Who knows, the extra few seconds it takes them, may be a deterrent.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How to remove gorilla locking nuts

I woke up this thread from the dead as I had some tips and why just start a new thread. The info in here is useful.

I've never used them myself. I always imagined that somehow I'd either forget or misplace the key and then be stuck. So far I haven't had any problems with theft.
It happened to me. Best solution- have two keys. Leave one in the jeep, but if your in a shady part of town don't leave the key in the jeep then. Makes sense dont it.

If you lose a key you still have one and you can just order another one.

Most companies that sell locking lugs sell sets of 5 for Jeeps (with one key). I got a pair of Gorilla locks because it just seems way too easy for someone to quickly and easily steal the spare without one. I think I paid $30 for a set of 5 - money well spent IMHO for the piece of mind if nothing else.
I have to say gorilla is the best I have used.

Locking lugs are easy to defeat. Like most other locking mechanisms, they are excellent in keeping the honest man honest.

That being said, I run locks on mine. Who knows, the extra few seconds it takes them, may be a deterrent.
The only way to defeat gorilla locks was to get a nut welded onto it. Other wise there was no way.

I have a set of 5 Gorilla locking lug nuts also. For what they cost it is cheap insurance. But you can buy the special sockets to remove locking lug nuts pretty cheap, and I imagine anyone that is serious about stealing wheels possesses them, and most probably a cordless impact wrench too.
Those sockets don't work with gorilla depending on your rim design. I have mt classic II's and there is not enough room for the special sockets to fit in the nut hole seats in the rim. Nut and a welder was the only way.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I just use a few splined lugnuts. They're cheaper than locking ones, you don't have to search for a set of 5 and they're cheap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts