JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am pondering putting a locker in the rear diff of my 07 X. I was thinking of going with the OX or the Auburn Ected.
I have never worked on diffs before and was wondering how hard these would be to install? I have always worked on my own vehicles but never tackled anything like this before :shaking:.
Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
S.W. Lower Michigan

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'll jump in here, from what I've read, nothing bolts straight in to the 07 D44. Our gears are thicker, and the ring gear holes have to be drilled out to accept the new locker parts.
So at a minumum, you are looking at modifying the stock components to accept the aftermarket ones, and setting your gears back up when you are done. Unless you know what you're doing, let a pro set your gears.
I was in the same boat as you, I wanted a rear locker. I priced all the parts and labor and found out for about 50 bucks more, I could get a complete Rubi rear axle assy with locker. I did the swap myself and saved the labor. I was even able to sell my old 44 so I really came out better going this way.
Plus, if it breaks, it takes stock off the shelf parts to fix that will eventually be more mainstream and cheaper.

The front D30, however, will take an Aussie locker with no mods. Again, this is what I've read, I have no direct experience with it.

Here's a link to a place that put an Auburn Ected in, not hard, but not a lot of room for error.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, it's definately worth it!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. I actually had considered that when I seen the rubi axles in my 4wd catalog. Any problems with the install?
Keith

·
Registered
962 Posts
Totally bolt on, no problems at all, sans one thing. I had a hell of a time getting the pass side wheel sensor connector off. I had to really tear up the connector. It still works ok, it doesn't lock now which is no big deal.
Other than that, it went really well. Had it done in just a few hours. The wiring was a few hours as well, but problem free. If you go this route, plan on getting either the factory harness, which I got for 79 bucks at the dealer, or finding one at a salvage yard. BTW, the factory harness has a ton of other stuff on it, all four wheel sensor plugs, both front and rear locker connections, front disco wiring, and a few other things.

In the prior post when I priced everything, I was going to go with an ARB unit. The Auburn way may be a bit cheaper since it doesn't need a compressor.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you go this route, plan on getting either the factory harness, which I got for 79 bucks at the dealer, or finding one at a salvage yard. BTW, the factory harness has a ton of other stuff on it, all four wheel sensor plugs, both front and rear locker connections, front disco wiring, and a few other things.
so how many of the things did you have to plug in on the wire harness to get the locker working? THe axles could be one of my next swaps. Stronger axles and lockers... cant beat that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight John. As soon as the moolah becomes available, I will most probably go with the rubi axle. Even if one of the manufacturers comes out with a direct replacement, it looks like for a few hundred dollars more (on the high side), I can get a better axle and a locker all-in-one by going your suggested route.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Currently we do not offer the D44or D30 in the JK. We are in the middle of the changes necessary to fit the Next Gen Dana applications. There have been successful installs of our lockers into the rear D44 but the ring gear had to have a significant amount removed to allow for the differences in clearance. Not an easy project.

·
Registered
962 Posts
so how many of the things did you have to plug in on the wire harness to get the locker working? THe axles could be one of my next swaps. Stronger axles and lockers... cant beat that.

I removed what I needed fron the harness, which was the two plugs for the rear and two plugs for the front(I Plan on swapping the front to the Rubi D44 later), and as much wiring as I could. I left the rest pretty much intact and stored it.

There are two plugins on the axle assy. One is for the power input to the locker, positive 12v and the return wire that goes to ground. The other is for the internal sensing switch that usually tells the computer if it's in a locked state. I say usually because I wired mine independently of the jeep computer, as in my Jeep has no idea that it has a rear locker now.

I put a fuse and a 20 amp switch in the 12V positive wire going to the locker and grounded the other wire that comes out of that connector. I also put a 10 amp fuse inline with another 12v positive, ran it to one the sensor wires, ran the other wire to the light in my switch and then grounded the remaining lead of the lamp. The switch I used has two lamps, one that is internally connected to come on when the switch is on and the other can be independently controlled. When I kick on the locker I see a power light, and when it actually engages the other light comes on.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Currently we do not offer the D44or D30 in the JK. We are in the middle of the changes necessary to fit the Next Gen Dana applications. There have been successful installs of our lockers into the rear D44 but the ring gear had to have a significant amount removed to allow for the differences in clearance. Not an easy project.
Who is saying this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is George Seiler from OX Brands. The makers of OX lockers. I don't post very often, but try to help answer any questions that my arise when I can.
Thanks,

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is George Seiler from OX Brands. The makers of OX lockers. I don't post very often, but try to help answer any questions that my arise when I can.
Thanks,
Doh, sorry bout that George, my bad, I guess my old fart disease kicked in when I saw your post and TOTALLY missed the yellow star and vendor designation. I need to cut back on the Geritol...

·
Registered
20 Posts
No John that was not you it was me. I have a yellow star on the Pirate board and thought it applied here also. When it did not I went out and got it right after that first post. The system applies the yellow start to all my messages both old and new. Maybe I should start taking the Geritol.:shaking:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks,
Can't wait for you guys to finish work on the next gen dana applications. I'm gonna run open diffs until I can put your lockers on. A friend has one on an older Wrangler and that has got to be the most bulletproof looking piece of hardware I've ever seen. I spent a significant amount of my life in the military and then working for military prime contractors and your stuff looks almost mil-spec. :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not to knock ox or anything because I love their products but arb has selectable lockers that do fit. The only problem is you have to get a compressor as well but you get on board air so you can fill your tires after a day on the trail. Just food for thought. I will be getting either arb or ox for myself depending on price. How far out do you think the ox lockers are for the next gen axles?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not to knock ox or anything because I love their products but arb has selectable lockers that do fit. The only problem is you have to get a compressor as well but you get on board air so you can fill your tires after a day on the trail. Just food for thought. I will be getting either arb or ox for myself depending on price. How far out do you think the ox lockers are for the next gen axles?
Personally I'm gonna wait for the OX. I know people who have had leakage issues with the ARBs as well as having the air line torn off by terrain. The cable just looks far more substantial to me. Hopefully OX will chime in about the timeframe. :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Are the ARB's a totally bolt on piece? In my reseach on this I was lead to believe that you had to do some mods to some stock pieces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will never bash competitor. ARB is a solid product with a good reputation. Having said that I do think we do things differently. OX makes the strongest differentials in the market, but they are not for everyone. We are also a small company and it takes a bit longer for us to get things in place.
I will say that we are actively developing several new applications and it would be foolish to ignore the biggest Jeep phenomena since round/square/round headlights. Once things are more concrete then I will announce the news here as well as on our website.

Wait till you see what else is coming...

·
Registered
20 Posts
For a sometime we have promised other options to the cable/shifter. We expect to be able to offer an air actuator by May 1st and an electro-mechanical actuator by June 1st. We will never stop making the cable/shifter combination, they are our bread and butter, but we want to be in a position to offer more choices than we have had in the past. I will post more as it is available, but I hope that holds you for now.
Pics Soon...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts