JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having found a couple of occasions I'd have liked the use of lockers when not in 4Lo, I decided to add some manual override switches for the lockers.

While I was at it, I added switches for the winch and rock lights. I already had a switch for the rock lights which I used as a master control for the winch and locker switches. That way i won't inadvertently turn on a locker on or mess with the winch until I am ready to.

The switches are Carling Contura and came from http://www.otrattw.com/ The winch rocker is indexed slightly differently to the others as it is momentary up/down.

I found the lower back lights to be a little bright for me, so left them so only the upper light comes on when they are in use.

As I used a + for the switch source (to turn on the switches on light) I used a couple of relays to ground the purple wires on the factory locker relays.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sweet, Phil! I like!!

But son-of-a-btch............Now I have another friggin thing to do to my JK.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello Phil,
Nice find. Do you by chance know if the Contura III switch will work with just the face plate. I have the www.4x4spod.com setup and would like to switch out just the face plates. Also do you have a link or write-up about the locker mod switches and the winch. Very well done. Oh and will you be selling these soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
That's really nice Phil, great job!!

You gonna do a write up on how you wired it?;)

I like the winch switch, I've thought about doing mine like that but can't figure out how to connect with the winch (Powerplant).
I'd also like to be able to turn on the air from the cab instead of dragging out the remote every time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm sure there is a write up already done, if not I'll do one.
I'm pretty sure there is not one. Since your Jeep is already done, you could come up to SA and do mine and take pictures as you go through the process so others could better follow along. :thefinger:

Just trying to help. :D

See you in a week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got me a set. Man those are reasonable at 10 bucks a switch. Jim is a really cool guy.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
ordered mine tonight
Jim is great to work with, been emailing back and forth on them until 11PM central, he definitely knows his stuff!
went with front and rear locker switches, a momentary for the air horn and eventually will add a traction control switch to bypass the ESP when he gets them in.:mr-t:

·
Registered
42 Posts
ordered mine tonight
Jim is great to work with, been emailing back and forth on them until 11PM central, he definitely knows his stuff!
went with front and rear locker switches, a momentary for the air horn and eventually will add a traction control switch to bypass the ESP when he gets them in.:mr-t:
I guess I should e-mail him. I didn't see the locker switches on the website. Maybe I overlooked them. I wanna get that horn switch too for my ar horn.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I guess I should e-mail him. I didn't see the locker switches on the website. Maybe I overlooked them. I wanna get that horn switch too for my ar horn.
yeah, drop him an email
he said he still had a few locker switches left
I paid today for my lockers n horn and got a tracking number same day.

He's still looking for a distributor that stocks the TCS switches

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Very nice work...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Finished mine up tonight
wired the lights to the dash dimmer wire, put a couple of relays under the hood and it looks/works great
soon as he gets in the TCS switches I'll fill the 4th slot on my daystar panel

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Which wire did you use to tap into the dimmer circuit? I initially ran mine to run just when the lights on (not the dimmer circuit) and they were too bright.
I tapped off of the lower square plug on the AC controls, thin gauge wire, orange w/grey stripe
it dims the lower 'find me' light, but the big 'activated' light is still full bright so I won't forget they're on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts