JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 unlimited sport, auto transmission, no LSD option. This is my daily driver. I'm considering installing a locker on my rear just so I have it in case its needed. A few questions:

- Has anyone added lockers to a stock JK Unlimited?
- I'm assuming the rear Dana 44 is strong enough to handle the locker?
- Was looking at an ARB Air Locker - does anyone know of an electronic locker that can go on rear only? Any other suggestions?
- I know that the BLD will likely get me through most of what I would need it for, but not sure if the locker would have an affect the BLD electronics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
An ARB or Eaton E-Locker will work great in your axle. The ARB will require an air compressor, which you can purchase with the locker itself. The all-electric E-Locker will work just like the Rubicon units. Since you have to pull it down to install the locker, might as well install some stronger rear axle shafts at the same time. I would not opt for an automatic locker, like a Detroit or Lock-Rite, on a daily driver.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I'd go for the locker that is open when not engaged. Simple is better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you don't change fear ratio just take out the old diff and put the new one in. Just me sure you put the shim in the same location as they were before. What's the tq setting for the caps?

Sent from my Black Box using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Why the rear and not the front? I did my rear first, If I had to do it over again, I would have done the front. I've found most of the time when I need traction, its on the front to pull me up a ledge or through something... just my $0.02

I believe you can get the Eaton E-Locker for the D30 too.

I'll be doing my front hopefully this year.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I may be wrong but if you change the differential carrier you have to recheck the gear engagement.

Please correct me if I am wrong?
It's good idea to check but 99% of the time you are still in spec with good teeth contact pattern. Arb is great about tight tolerances. Thank you gd&t!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with an ARB setup in mine and have been quite satisfied. I changed gearing to 5.13's and added chromoly safts at the same time. It is more expensive due to the air system though.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Depending on your location, I would recommend a lunchbox locker for the front. I have put in two of these in the garage with no issues. It takes about three hours start to finish. No special tools or worry about backlash on your gears. Since you leave the carrier intact it keeps the process very simple. You would be amazed at where your Jeep will go with only the front locked. Look at my trail pics in my signature. All of the places I went with the rear open. The front is open until you go to 4wd. I used an Aussie locker but there are others equally suited for the task.

Low cost/ simple/ effective

ARB is a great locker though. Changing out the carrier is more involved but is doable. Changing mine this weekend.:D I'm using a Detroit for my rear but it may be too much for a DD.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The problem with the front locker is if you use 4wd in the winter in snowy conditions your not going to want it to lock when going around corners that could be dangerous.
Thanks for clarifying!

This is true and why I started with "depending on location". It can be done but it much more appropriate for areas that rarely see snow. When it's snowing so bad here in Texas that I have it 4wd everyone is driving very slow. Not often enough for me to worry. Someone in WV or Michigan might have a different need for highway 4wd. The need for a selectable locker in those locations that see lots of winter weather and drive frequently in 4wd would definitely not want the lunchbox.

·
Registered
793 Posts
sorry I didn't see the "depending on location" I don't know where the OP is located. I live in the Chicago area and we drive like maniacs in the winter so front lunchbox would be bad:)
Maniacs doesn't sum it up enough...whenever someone rides with me while I'm driving in Chicago they are freaking out how crazy people drive there lol....oh and I keep up with the best :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.