JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
First trip out in my, new to me, Wrangler, and find out lockers only lock when in 4LO, same with the sway bar disconnect. Ugh. Makes me love my old XJ even more.

Ordered this up. Rubicon Locker Override JK kit
Save your money for a better mod. You dont really need either of those in 4HI. I have 1 ton axles with e-lockers, 40" tires and run the rubicon several times a year. My eaton e-lockers are wired to teh stock rubicon switch. I only user the lockers when I get stuck and actually need them to get unstuck. Always in 4LO.

Even though you don't need to over-ride the sway bar lockout, the Church of eVo no limits knob is a good upgrade, along with a sway bar flip. This rotates the smart bar mechanism up and out of the way and eliminates the electrical portion. The electrical portion can get smashed and has been known to fail as well. A lot of non-rubicon owners get the smart bar along with the manual knob as a better option to disconnects or the rockjock antirock bars.

A better upgrade that does more (and costs more) would be something like a Diablosport tuner. I have one and never use it to override the lockers or swaybar loclkouts. Another, cheaper option would be to buy the OBD JScan appfor your phone and a supported OBD-II to Bluetooth interface. That might even cost you around the same as that cheesy wiring kit and you wont need to run extra wires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Save your money for a better mod. You dont really need either of those in 4HI. I have 1 ton axles with e-lockers, 40" tires and run the rubicon several times a year. My eaton e-lockers are wired to teh stock rubicon switch. I only user the lockers when I get stuck and actually need them to get unstuck. Always in 4LO.

Even though you don't need to over-ride the sway bar lockout, the Church of eVo no limits knob is a good upgrade, along with a sway bar flip. This rotates the smart bar mechanism up and out of the way and eliminates the electrical portion. The electrical portion can get smashed and has been known to fail as well. A lot of non-rubicon owners get the smart bar along with the manual knob as a better option to disconnects or the rockjock antirock bars.

A better upgrade that does more (and costs more) would be something like a Diablosport tuner. I have one and never use it to override the lockers or swaybar loclkouts. Another, cheaper option would be to buy the OBD JScan appfor your phone and a supported OBD-II to Bluetooth interface. That might even cost you around the same as that cheesy wiring kit and you wont need to run extra wires.
Ok, thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Just ordered the sway bar knob from Evo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out the ZAutomotive Blaster. I have one for my '16 JKUR. It does allow using the lockers in 4Hi if that is what you want. Not sure about the swaybar disconnect, but it's a cool little programmer. Other good functions in it too.

Ok, thanks, I will check it out. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use 4lo on the trails i run in my area. I am use to my XJ having a rear Detroit Locker, and not having think about hitting a button. The front has True-Trac, and that thing goes everywhere. It's on 35's with 4.88 gears.... I just need to get use to this "new" Wrangler

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Ok, thanks, I will check it out. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use 4lo on the trails i run in my area. I am use to my XJ having a rear Detroit Locker, and not having think about hitting a button. The front has True-Trac, and that thing goes everywhere. It's on 35's with 4.88 gears.... I just need to get use to this "new" Wrangler
At $289, I would skip the Z Blaster. You're better off with JScan and a compatible Bluetooth to OBD-II interface. For ~$5 more you can add the Torque app. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Ok, thanks. This is what I like, options. Cheers.
FWIW, I have this OBD-II interface and it works with both JScan as well as Torque. It also works on my other cars (BMW & Honda).

I have this one too and it also works with both phone apps. I like the first one better, though, because it's smaller and it's also on JScan's compatibility list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts