JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't ask it just happened. Wife can't find her key. No road service and prefer not to call a locksmith. Yes, I'm a fawk up. Anybody try coat hangars, slim jims ?

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
If you can jimmy the top of the door with a couple rubber handled tools you might be able to slide a coat hanger down to the door lock switch if you have power locks. Pulling up on the switch will unlock.

·
Registered
737 Posts
LMAO Yup Hardtop. I'll try a slim jim, just though newer cars are protected from that.
If you can, look around for a rubber door wedge or a wooden wedge. Rubber is a little more forgiving, but you can push it in and pry the door open a little bit from the top, making it easier to get a hook or something in there to attempt to hit the lock. If you called AAA, they use something similar and sometimes use little bladder, similar to a blood pressure cuff to push the door open a bit.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If the alarm is armed the electric door lock switch will not work. You can always give your VIN to the dealership and have them cut a key to open the door. Sometimes they ask for proof of ownership sometimes they don't.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
It's easy enough to take the back window loose - the plastic trim on the top hinges pop off giving access to the bolts. The guy we got into that trip had his spare locked on but there was enough room to squeeze a young slender girl through.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
no deductible on glass = rock = keys !

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bummer, I guess you'll just have to buy a new jeep!
That's constructive Joe. And, not even funny. Probably work on the humor part.

Update:

Still looking for spare key. Jeep's parked at home and it's raining right now. I'll update when I get to it. :)

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
lol, call your local towing company and ask what they charge to do a lockout. if you were local to me id do it for free. if its close we only charge between 25-45 depending on how far away it is. i use a plastic wedge (can use a chainsaw wedge) and then sile in a rubber airbag, pump up the bag to create a small gap in door the use a special rod (way thicker than a coat hangar, that wont have enough strength to hit button or grab handle) to either hit unlock button to grab the door handle.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
This thread reminds me of the great snowpocalypse of Atlanta 2014... :thefinger:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Jeff has locked his keys in his Jeep more time then I can count. We had to use a wire hanger and go in the top of the door and fish it through the steering wheel to get enough leverage to open the door with the inner handle. Since we have had dummy keys made and hide them on the Jeep. Won't start the Jeep but will unlock the doors. This would really suck out on the trail.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
This would really suck out on the trail.
Out on the trail one can always find a rock and then, convert the window openings into Pax holders like Rebel did. :D

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Really??? This could be EPIC ?:koolaid2:
I think mostly because it's been nearly two days and you still haven't gained access to a vehicle parked in your own driveway. :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts