JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if others are interested, but I thought I would write this up, just in case.

I wanted some lockable storage for the back of my Jeep but didn't want to spend a fortune doing it (gotta keep the Mrs. happy!)

After searching around, I found that there are very few companies who make a lockable container that will fit correctly.

After removing the rear seat, I found that it is 43" between the wheel wells and 34" between the seat anchor points. The only metal box I could find was $229.

I did find this trailer tongue box for $89 and with a lock tossed in, the total was $98.00. The box is wedge shaped and I liked that it gave me more options for carrying longer items in the back along with the box.

Anyway, on to the pictures.

This is the box. It measures 36" across the widest point at the rear

I cut out a cardboard template to locate the seat attachment points

Seat attachment point

Cut out the slots in the bottom of the box

For now, I am just using a couple of ties to hold it in place. Not a lot of room there to work so I am brainstorming a better way to lock the rear down.

For the front, I cut a bar of 3/16th steel to fit tight along the floor. (Here they are in primer, will be painted flat black) The two smaller bits are to reinforce on the inside.

The inside of the box with plates installed

A set of keyed-alike padlocks and some clear vinyl coated wire are how I will secure it to the rear seat attachment points.

This is how it looks attached

Continued below

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice job. I know some people want/need their rear seats, but I always removed the rear seats in my 3 prior 2-door Jeeps because I wanted more storage area. Are you going to secure the box to the mounts (with a lock or something) so nobody can steal the whole box? It looks like you have it where it won't move around, but couldn't tell if the box can still be removed if you wanted.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice job. I know some people want/need their rear seats, but I always removed the rear seats in my 3 prior 2-door Jeeps because I wanted more storage area. Are you going to secure the box to the mounts (with a lock or something) so nobody can steal the whole box? It looks like you have it where it won't move around, but couldn't tell if the box can still be removed if you wanted.
I had originally planned on putting a bar through the loops that I could lock, but there really isn't room.

Even with that little bit of metal on both sides, you would need a pry bar and would have to destroy the box to get it out. I tried to lift the box and it is pretty secure already.

No, it won't stop a determined thief, but neither will any box I put back there. It is intended to stock the sticky-finger crowd, to discourage the opportunistic thief.

I am thinking about, at least temporarily, just spanning the two seat attachment points on each side with a couple of nylon wire ties.

If I could convince myself to cut the carpet, I could add a metal plate on the inside of the box to make it practically indestructable.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Continued from above with a few changes.

And all done!

In place. It matches the plastics inside!

From the side

And there is enough room to store a few items behind the seat if needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome job... I really like this idea.... Just got to talk the CFO into letting me get rid of the back seat. She actaully used "What if we needed to pick up a hitch-hicker?"

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Awesome job... I really like this idea.... Just got to talk the CFO into letting me get rid of the back seat. She actaully used "What if we needed to pick up a hitch-hicker?"
Wow.. :bawling:

My wife's first question was if I had a secure place for my carry pistol if we went someplace (a bank etc) where I couldn't take it in.:laughing:

She would look at me like I had two heads if I ever suggested picking up a hitchhiker!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
That looks really good! Nice work.
I'm thinking about putting a single bucket seat in the back and a slide out drawer to the side of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.