JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only real gripe about the JK is that on the X and Sahara models that the transfer case gearing in lo range are not low enough. Mostly just first gear. When trying to climb over rocks and roots in tight turns I found that I needed a lower first gear. As it is our V6's don't have any low end grunt so we have to make up for it with lower gearing and it should have come with the same T-case as the Rubicon so you had lower gearing. So I'm looking into getting a atlas II T-case in the future. I like the Hi range so far and I like getting 22.9mpg with them, but that Lo range needs some help. That's pretty much my only complaint of any magnatude. There are some little things but I can live with them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you ran an auto tranny you wouldn't be saying that. The torque converter makes it work great. I'm running 35's with 4.10's and don't have any problems.

G

·
0 Posts
You might think about just swapping a Rubicon T-case instead of the Atlas II - it would probably be a much easier swap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Atlas II is now made to drop right in without any mods. I think there is a mod. that has to be done. I don't remember what it was, but it was $300.oo , But I don't know if that is 100% true or not. Plus with the Atla's I could go to 5.0 to 1 or even 6.0 to 1, and still keep my hi range the same. I really don't think I would want to go to 6.0 to 1, but the 4.3 or 5.0 to 1 would do the trick. It really doesn't matter right now because I can't afford it for awhile. LOL

·
Registered
712 Posts
Doesn't Atlas have that bolt-on torque converter coming out this fall? Would that solve the problem with the least amount of effort?

I'm thinking about it, but, alas, I'm also trying to buy a house, so I just ordered my last set of parts for the next 8 months or so =(

!c

·
Registered
774 Posts
That is for automatics only. Works like a crawl box.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Plus with the Atla's I could go to 5.0 to 1 or even 6.0 to 1, and still keep my hi range the same. I really don't think I would want to go to 6.0 to 1, but the 4.3 or 5.0 to 1 would do the trick.
I got a 5.0 Atlas and its definitely the way to go....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts